Fun Friday: Angle 1 Disarm Variations

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy these, Brian. I have a little FMA training - just some work I did to look for a better understanding of disarms and basic strikes. Your videos help me remember parts of that and find the bits I want to integrate into my primary art.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good stuff but I have to say that as a guy sitting watching the video, having you put the stick on the ground every time is distracting. I get it, if thats the way you train but for a video that's all I see and hear is sticks the thing the ground and the other guy picking it up over and over

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good stuff but I have to say that as a guy sitting watching the video, having you put the stick on the ground every time is distracting. I get it, if thats the way you train but for a video that's all I see and hear is sticks the thing the ground and the other guy picking it up over and over
I actually liked seeing that. It's a reminder to folks about the importance of small stuff in training. I've been to schools where, when practicing knife disarms, they automatically handed them back at the end. Not a good habit to get into.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There goes a guy who might say, "Put it down or I'll shove..." and who wouldn't be making no small talk. :)

That was really sweet. Great understanding of angles and structure of the hand and arm.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually liked seeing that. It's a reminder to folks about the importance of small stuff in training. I've been to schools where, when practicing knife disarms, they automatically handed them back at the end. Not a good habit to get into.
At a seminar in Dallas back in mid to late 90s one of the participants happen to be a LEO told a story that he said happened to him. The group he trained with doing knife strips and being nice handed the knife to the partner. Over and Over and Over.
Was confronted with a knife wielding subject on a routine traffic stop. Asked the subject to step out of the vehicle and was attacked. Got a small cut on his forearm...Anyway he says it was almost as he had trained it thousands of times. Stripped the knife and as he was doing so he recognized he was in the process of handing the knife back to the assailant. Fortunately the assailant took off running rather than grabbing the knife. (The subject was caught and arrested).
You will do what you practice if practiced enough for it to be ingrained.

OP
Brian Johns

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for your responses. That's exactly why I kept putting the stick on the ground every time I disarmed Alex. I tell my students not to hand their weapon back to their training partner. Besides, I need to set a good example for students in the video, especially my children students: "Master Brian, I think you need to do burpees!" NOPE! :)

Latest Discussions