Frighteningly Close to the Truth

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt]2euuSm-SaDM[/yt]

On the face of it, on first seeing this report, no wonder the right-wing extremist groups are making in-roads into luring what might be termed 'ordinary' people into thinking things that, left to their own devices, would not be considered "right and proper".

Sadly, of course, the facts that underpin the report are somewhat invalidated by the presenters turning it into a 'christian' matter of clashing religions when it is more properly a cultural matter fueled by a few using religion as a cover.

But it is still a matter of concern nonetheless.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Again somewhat hi-jacked into a religious video-pamphlet but I cannot help but feel for this German lass as she sees 'divide, silence and conquer' being used once more to steer her country:

[yt]RJF2PzWZQeg[/yt]

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And this lot can sling their collective hooks:

[yt]5xRmKTD96po[/yt]

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Again somewhat hi-jacked into a religious video-pamphlet but I cannot help but feel for this German lass as she sees 'divide, silence and conquer' being used once more to steer her country:

Yes...but she's hardly coming out for free speech either?

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is true but, tho' it might be odd-sounding to someone who grew up in a country where 'free' speech is enshrined in law, generations of Germans have grown up being taught that some things cannot be said and some subjects cannot be addressed. That is thanks to the actions of a certain dictator and the events of the Second World War.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And this lot can sling their collective hooks:

[yt]5xRmKTD96po[/yt]

Well they'll have to join the queue to dominate the UK, there's the National Front, there's the BNP, there's the happy clappy Christians, there's the Tories ( oops they are already there) and a whole load of other groups wanting to show us the error of their ways however with barely 1.58million Muslims in the UK and only a handful wanting to take over Britain it's not likely to happen any time soon, so wishful thinking on a few Muslim's part and scaremongering on CNNs.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2012/jul/03/muslims-integrated-britain

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, as I always try to take pains to point out, it's the extremists who get all the media attention but they are also the ones from whom people in general draw their conclusions - which is a real problem.

One of the chemotherapy nurses supervising my wifes treatment is Islamic and wears as much of the traditional dress as her uniform sensibly allows - she says she finds it quite amusing when people make a song and dance of where she is from {which is Birmingham by the way; she's a Brummie and proud of it :lol:}. I can't help but feel that people like her must have a rough and/or irritating time of it when people judge her by the actions of those she would not give the time of day to.

It has to get on your nerves eventually - I know it gets on mine when over-liberal-happy-clappers (or indeed third-generation immigrants) automatically assume I am a racist just because I happen to be proudly English and not happy about the rate of immigration and what it is doing to our social stability.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aye, as I always try to take pains to point out, it's the extremists who get all the media attention but they are also the ones from whom people in general draw their conclusions - which is a real problem.

One of the chemotherapy nurses supervising my wifes treatment is Islamic and wears as much of the traditional dress as her uniform sensibly allows - she says she finds it quite amusing when people make a song and dance of where she is from {which is Birmingham by the way; she's a Brummie and proud of it :lol:}. I can't help but feel that people like her must have a rough and/or irritating time of it when people judge her by the actions of those she would not give the time of day to.

It has to get on your nerves eventually - I know it gets on mine when over-liberal-happy-clappers (or indeed third-generation immigrants) automatically assume I am a racist just because I happen to be proudly English and not happy about the rate of immigration and what it is doing to our social stability.

When I took one of our students to the hospital,(broken arm this time) there was a nurse in a head scarf and I thought at the time how hygienic that is for a nurse! All her head is obviously covered, I remember when nurses had to have hair tied back and wear a cap. In these days of hospital infections how sensible to have the whole head covered!

The immigration is an issue in some parts of the country and not others, if all the immigrants were spread throughout the country instead of clustering, there would seem to be far less and it would reflect the true number. through the whole of North Yorkshire (Cumbria and Northumberland are much the same just colder and wetter) there are actually few immigrants, not that I blame Asians it's bloody cold and miserable here, but in Middleborough just up the road you would think in some areas there were nothing but Asians.

The other issue is that people only see Asians as immigrants, white people are ignored. At the moment there is a large influx of white people coming in from Zimbabwe, there's also because of the EU regulations a good many Europeans here living and working, this we can't complain about because we have a great many ex pats living abroad under the same rules.
Social stability is affected not so much by immigration but by inner city poverty both in monetary terms and in moral terms. Society in general is lacking something it hasn't before. people assume it's because of multi culturism but it's more likely to be consumerism, the I want, greed is good generation. We have a gernation of young people who has a sense of entitlement, that isn't to do with the immigrants. It started with Thatcher and the Tories, everyone was supposed to own their own house, bankers and the stock marketeers weer the new heroes, we were encouraged to step on your fellow human beings and grab what we surely deserved, we were entitled to be rich, we didn't have to actually work for it, it was ours by right. It's this not the immigrant problem that is to blame. The Tories won't admit they were to blame and successvie governments including disaapointingly the Labour Party took the same line. We don't have young people working hard with their hands in so called dirty jobs they want the X Factor instant fame or the easy job of banking, or worst still drug dealing, why work? Everything has pointed towards the amoral approach to getting wealth and now we are paying for it with unrest. It wasn't racial violence in London last summer it was looting by people who feel no shame in taking others property.

If we sent every single immigrant back to their country of origin we would still have the unrest and social instabilty only we'd have to find something else to blame it on. that's not to say we shouldn't cap the immigrantion numbers but we will be introuble if we do what the far right want and blame the immigrants for our problems.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/paulmason/2010/03/whats_wrong_with_britain_part.html

We have a few thousand non white non British people in the Armed Forces from Commonwealth countries, these include the Gurkhas, Indians, the Fijians and those from African Commonwealth countries. We also have white Africans including South Africans and Zimbabweans. None of these including the Gurkhas have the right to stay here when their service is finished, not even the wounded ones. It would seem Britain likes some inmmigrants and not others. Fight and die for the Uk but don't dare want to live here.

The cry so often is that 'immigrants have taken our jobs', really? Ask the coompanies trying to employ people who applies for their jobs, is it the yobs who are on the dole? Of course not, it's an immigrany with a work ethic. As the Russian meerkat says 'simples'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-truth-behind-the-new-jobless-generation.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18423671

"But when the scheme expires next year, Bulgarian and Romanian workers will no longer be confined to farm work and Mr Watkins is worried they will look instead for better-paid work in our towns and cities.
He told us: "Without another scheme to replace the current one, there is a real possibility of a food shortage because there will be nobody to pick the crops."
This is despite the fact that of 170,000 people out of work in the West Midlands, almost 11,000 live in Worcestershire.
Home-grown workers While resisting any temptation to parrot Gordon Brown's notorious "British jobs for British workers" sound bite, the West Worcestershire MP, Harriett Baldwin, a member of the Commons Work and Pensions Select Committee, says:
"These are solid jobs, they pay well. It is hard work but you are there for a season and you go home with a lump sum of cash.
"I would rather see that staying in the UK."
These are solid jobs, they pay well... I would rather see that staying in the UK ”
Mr Watkins says that "it would be great to offer more jobs to British workers but they do not want to do them".

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rep engine won't let me rep you for that sensible post, my friend - so, the embarrassment of a public "Well said!" for you :D.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is true but, tho' it might be odd-sounding to someone who grew up in a country where 'free' speech is enshrined in law, generations of Germans have grown up being taught that some things cannot be said and some subjects cannot be addressed. That is thanks to the actions of a certain dictator and the events of the Second World War.

Yes, it is different there...fair enough.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20728634

This is such a fundamental example of failing to integrate into the society to which they have travelled. If all they want to do is to reap the economic benefits of being in Britain (compared to their homelands) then 'enclaving' is not the answer. Not speaking English in an English speaking country is a real handicap if you want to do more than basic work.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20728634

This is such a fundamental example of failing to integrate into the society to which they have travelled. If all they want to do is to reap the economic benefits of being in Britain (compared to their homelands) then 'enclaving' is not the answer. Not speaking English in an English speaking country is a real handicap if you want to do more than basic work.

The Brits who live in France and Spain manage perfectly well just speaking English. Some have lived there many years without learning anything more than 'a beer' please. They are doing exactly the same as these immigrants. The Brits are probably worse as they expect everyone to speak English!

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a difference, Tez. The two examples are not equivalent, primarily the disparities are in skill sets and wealth and also in 'stage of life'. That in turn leads to a disparity in outcomes.

And we have history to thank for our being able to get by with just our own language.

It is a mistake to read every statement that is not praising the noble immigrants as isolationist xenophobia - there are plenty of those sentiments to go around, I am not that is ruled by them. If immigration of the low skilled and poor and emigration of the highly skilled and wealthy is not brought under control soon then Britain will suffer for it. It is as inevitable as the weather that a nation thrives or withers on its people.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see you don't watch 'Three in a bed' at silly o'clock in the middle of the night trying to do boring paperwork. A good many people are the young to middle aged who emigrate to France and Spain, they go there to run businesses and work, they work for other Brits and runs businesses like B&B's, bars, builders, landscaping and 'art' shops where they don't have to speak French. A chap I know went out there to run a taxi firm catering solely to the Brits. Odd I know but he hasn't come back yet. It's arrogance that leads them not to learn French.

Are these Romanians or Roma? If Roma they were probably driven out of their country and are reluctant immigrants who don't want to learn English, they are close knit, very clannish and actually can be quite dangerous. There's Romanians where my other half works they speak good English as do the other foreign nationals. Roma on the other hand aren't looking to work, crime is more there thing that and underage forced marriages just two of the reasons they are forced out of their country and should be forced right back.

Besides, the Geordies manage their whole lives living here without speaking English!

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can only say that my own experience is not the same - the few that I actually know that have property in France are nearing retirement and/or have a good deal of disposable income. But that is just a few and I should not draw broad conclusions based on those.

So I'll just say that the south of France is rightfully British anyway :p.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only say that my own experience is not the same - the few that I actually know that have property in France are nearing retirement and/or have a good deal of disposable income. But that is just a few and I should not draw broad conclusions based on those.

So I'll just say that the south of France is rightfully British anyway :p.

France can have Newcastle instead!

http://www.brits-in-france.net/

[h=5]Brits who work on the black in France[/h]One thing that does upset them however, is those Brits (or anyone else!) who come into France and set up working without declaring their incomes to the authorities. This is because the French pay large social charges and taxes (Tax in France) in order to enjoy the excellent healthcare (Health care in France), pensions and other benefits of the French system. Not only is it galling to see those Brits who "work on the black" benefit from a system into which they make no contribution, but it also means that these illegal workers take many jobs away from those who are registered, as they are able to undercut prices and offer cheaper quotes (Jobs in France).
[h=5]What sort of person is a Brit ex-pat in France?[/h]How long is a piece of string? There are all sorts of Brits here, from all walks of life and with budgets that vary from just off the breadline to the super rich. There are retired people (Retirement in France, Retirement in Perpignan), young families, people who work, people who are looking for work and people who don't want (or need) to work. Most of us, though, are here through choice. That gives us something in common, and it is true to say that we find we really do like the majority of ex-pats that we meet here. We all chose to come to France, as opposed to Spain, Greece, America or Australia. That probably says something about us as people, although I hesitate to speculate exactly what!

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20713380

As I have said on many occasions, immigration and cultural mixing is vital for a countries health - 12% of the population being immigrants, half of whom came here in the past decade, is too many, too fast. Societies take generations to adapt and merge; if populations change too quickly then, historically, trouble follows behind.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do we do about the Scots when they get independance? Throw them out of England or will they be treated as immigrants? What will the Scots do with the English that live up there?

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Latest Discussions