Free elections: Victory or defeat in Iraq?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparently, despite the efforts of forces aligned against it, we may be turning the tide in Iraq.

I've maintained for some time that Iraqis are merely waiting to see if we have the resolve to finish what we started. Their fear, that if they participate in democracy, they'll only have it pulled out from under them has slowed progress.

"On a day when the high voter turnout among Sunni Arabs was the main surprise, Ali and his posse of friends, unguarded as boys can be, acted like a chorus for the scene unfolding about them. A new willingness to distance themselves from the insurgency, an absence of hostility for Americans, a casual contempt for Saddam Hussein, a yearning for Sunnis to find a place for themselves in the post-Hussein Iraq - the boys' themes were their parents', too, only more boldly expressed."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/16/international/middleeast/16sunnis.html?hp&ex=1134709200&en=e1cb7334b9deec01&ei=5094&partner=homepage

This, as has always been stated, is the 'exist strategy'. A stable, democratic Iraq. It's not over, not by a long shot. But at least there's still a light at the end of the tunnel.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
This, as has always been stated, is the 'exist strategy'. A stable, democratic Iraq. It's not over, not by a long shot. But at least there's still a light at the end of the tunnel.

Perhaps. Depends on Iraq becoming democratic and stable as a result of the elections. It can become stable without being democratic etc.

All that can be said now is "Congratulations for a job done."

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Perhaps. Depends on Iraq becoming democratic and stable as a result of the elections. It can become stable without being democratic etc.

All that can be said now is "Congratulations for a job done."
I'm certainly not declaring victory. I am pointing out, however, that declarations of defeat are extremely premature.

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That region will still never like Americans. No matter what we do for them we will still be the evil giant. Its due to something that will never be resolved. Religion.

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
BlueDragon1981 said:
That region will still never like Americans. No matter what we do for them we will still be the evil giant. Its due to something that will never be resolved. Religion.
The Kurds are pretty happy with us, despite their religion.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I applaud the fact that they are starting to have free elections.
Trouble is no matter who wins thee are people thee that will still use terorism to try to get their way
I think the country has come along way to move into the 21st century but still has an uphill fight.
Can we come home now I truely hope so

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm all for them having a democracy don't get me wrong on that. Just don't be surprised in the future when we ask for thier help..well they won't do it. They are not concerned for US and like most people they really in all reality care about themselves. Which is part of human nature and they should worry about themselves. Just don't be surprised if they turn on us. Everyone is our friend when they want help or need something.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, coming home now would only serve two interests; our short term interests and the people we've been fighting's long term interests.

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
I applaud the fact that they are starting to have free elections.
Trouble is no matter who wins thee are people thee that will still use terorism to try to get their way
I think the country has come along way to move into the 21st century but still has an uphill fight.
Can we come home now I truely hope so
Sure.....if you want to have to come back again later under worse conditions. It's better to do it right the first time, than do a hurried job and leave before it's finished.

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Man, do I want to make a quip about the older Bush vs the younger on *that* line...
The older Bush wasn't much of a closer, i'll give you that.

In further news, Adnan al-Dulaimi, top Iraqi Sunni, says he's willing to open an alliance with Secular Kurds and Shiites to form a coalition government. This is further good news. I do appreciate his desire to deal with Secular leaders from both factions.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10426494/

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only form of government anyone from one group has been able to impose on another group, is that of a totalitarian dictator. We can not impose 'democracy' on the people of Iraq.

For evidence, I almost chuckle to point to: Saddam Hussein.

In ten years, all the activity today will be completely irrelevant.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
BlueDragon1981 said:
I'm all for them having a democracy don't get me wrong on that. Just don't be surprised in the future when we ask for thier help..well they won't do it. They are not concerned for US and like most people they really in all reality care about themselves. Which is part of human nature and they should worry about themselves. Just don't be surprised if they turn on us. Everyone is our friend when they want help or need something.

Are you referring to Iraq, or France? :rolleyes:

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
The only form of government anyone from one group has been able to impose on another group, is that of a totalitarian dictator. We can not impose 'democracy' on the people of Iraq.

If you're wrong, will you run naked around town square, with a big sign?
icon12.gif

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:

Is that what they call a defeatist attitude?

I wonder what England said about US back in the 1700's?

(hey Ive got a new belt!)

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
I'm guessing a small sign will pretty much cover it.......:rolleyes:
:rofl: Please, stop, oh it hurts! :rofl:

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46