Frank Shamrock coments on Bruce Lee

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kajukenbo is a hybrid martial art that combines western boxing, judo, jujutsu, kenpo karate, Tang Soo Do and kung fu; "ka" ("karate"), "ju" ("judo"/"jujutsu"), "ken" ("kenpo"), "bo" (Boxing and/or Chinese Boxing Kung Fu) it was founded in 1947.

Zen Do Kai is a freestyle martial art system which was developed in Australia by Bob Jones. In 1970 Jones opened his first Zen Do Kai martial arts club at 48 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne Zen Do Kai takes elements from Boxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Eskrima, Judo, Karate and Muay Thai

Bartitsu is an eclectic martial art and self-defense method originally developed in England during the years 1898–1902. In 1898, Edward William Barton-Wright, a British engineer who had spent the previous three years living in the Empire of Japan, returned to England and announced the formation of a "New Art of Self Defense"

Bartitsu was largely drawn from the Shinden Fudo school of koryū ("classical") jujutsu and from Kodokan judo, as well as British boxing, Swiss schwingen, French savate and a defensive la canne (stick fighting) style that had been developed by Pierre Vigny of Switzerland. Bartitsu also included a comprehensive physical culture training system.

To name a few.

khand50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i find it interesting that people still think lee was putting together the best of the arts to create a superior art....actually, he was dissecting the arts and creating a superior fighter. he spoke of studying the other arts, not so much to learn the art but to learn the delivery system and find out how to defend against the other arts. he was all about cutting away from the stone and not adding to it. yes, you have to have a base, which he did. but he constantly researched ways to read his opponents and to minimize his being able to be read. getting rid of wasted motion. all of that has less to do with any one style and more to do with individual self realization and the understanding of movement.
personally, from all that i have read and studied of lee over the past 38 years, i dont think he would have been as impressed with mixed martial arts or be happy with being called the father of it or the one who inspired it. truthfully, i think dan inosanto had more to do with the whole mixed martial arts scene than lee. lee wasnt about putting them all together. he was about taking them all apart, for those who understand.
i was mixing martial arts in 1969 when i started, two years before i ever read about lee's ideas. it seemed natural to me. if karate was good and judo was good but had different techniques, why not combine them? hey, i was ten years old....i didnt have any rules to follow. just common sense. so that is what i started out doing. but as i started to read about lee's approach to jkd i started to realize that missed the mark. there is a way beyond styles and techniques and adding this art to that art. it is about finding a proper base and working from there. it is about using attributes such as timing, speed, distance, spatial relationships, and cutting back the amount of technques and working out of a proper position using simple principles such as the center line theory, to find the quickest way to defeat the opponent without much wasted motion or energy.
im not knocking mma or ufc or any of those things. its fine for people who enjoy them. and everyone has their own ideas and theories. ive just shared one of mine in this discussion. dan inosanto is the man who spent all these years studying other arts and putting them together, finding the thread that binds them all. he is awesome at doing that. but it is a totally different direction than lee took...

khand50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i just saw the post before mine...if you study the history of the arts, you will find that every single art created is a hybrid. every art was created from other ideas or arts. there is no such thing, really, as a pure art that was created out of thin air...

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Regardless of whether you like Frank he's correct. Many other MMA fighters cite Lee as a pioneer: Ortiz, Couture, A.Silva, Florian, Jon 'Bones' Jones, Ben Saunders the list is endless.

Larry Hartsell once remarked that Lee had intended to create a form of fighting competition and market it as something similar to what the UFC is doing now.

The time Hartsell made these remarks I believe was late-eighties before the popularity of MMA even became remotely prominent so it's not like there is any claim of 'jumping on the bandwagon'.

Maybe Gracie read the same article?

Namaste.

Florian used to train with Mark Delagrotte who is a JKD instructor under Inosanto I believe, Ben Saunders came from JKD early in his MMA career, Couture was with Straight Blast Gym before Team Quest was founded as was Nate Quarry and Forrest Griffin, and Tim Boetsch is or was JKD guy too. The link between JKD and MMA is there as I have seen many different JKD tee shirts on figthers at local shows as well.

Honestly, I believe Lee would have had strong opinions on MMA had he been alive. Just my two.

Latest Discussions