EliteXC is in the books

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
EliteXC has finished. My personal takes.

The first two fights where terrible. It looked like wannabe top ten fighters beating on guys on their way out the door anyways.

The women stole the show I think. Both looked good. I would loved to have seen a third round but safety is #1 and I think the doctors calling the fight was in best interest.

The title fight was shaping up to be a mind blower, the doctors screwed that one up. They should have given Smith his full five minutes before they even considered calling the fight. I hope the rematch makes it to TV.

Kimbo Kimbo Kimbo. He is one lucky man tonight. The call to stop the fight was way to premature. He did show some ground skill and a solid stand up, which was expected. He was also very humble post fight saying he knows he has a long road and a lot to learn.

All in all I give the show a D+

I still say get rid of Frank Shamrock. Every time he opened his mouth I wanted to fly to NJ and punch him.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd have to agree, on most parts. I thought that most of the fights seemed worked.

OP
Jai

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd have to agree, on most parts. I thought that most of the fights seemed worked.

Yeah even going back now and rewatching the women's fight it seemed like a nice looking work. How many sloppy front PUSH kicks can you walk into? 90% of those front kicks where or looked pulled.

It seems odd that everyone that "should have" won, did. Either by destroying whoever was standing on the other side, or by some spotty calls.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The previous posters opinions seem to be the general consensus of everyone here. I've been reading some comments from pro fighters, promoters and fans and they all agree it was a bad show altogether. I'd post them up but the forum they're from allows swearing and I can't go through them all censoring it rofl!
There was a link so I've seen the Thompson fight. How did he get through the medical with that ear and why was the fight stopped so soon?
It does nothing for the sport, we have concerns as this company has taken over one of the big promotions here Cage Rage. No integrity and it will make MMA a laughing stock.

REH2

White Belt
Reaction score
I would have to agree, as well. This is terrible! Its as if they are trying to re-invent this wheel and put spinners on it. The show is the fight, not dancing down to the ring with pyrotechnics and hip hop dancers. Who let Vince McMahon put in his 2 cents?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This was a really bad show and CBS should be taken out back for a whooopin, plain and simple.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes it seemed like the fix was in. Very, very, very sorry performance for the overall show.
icon13.gif

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Damn I must have missed the best part. I turned it off after the first two fights

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know. Maybe I'll play Devil's Advocate.

Although I thought that they catered to a non-MMA viewing audience and went for more plebeian tastes (in terms of production) and that means dancing girls, musical soundtracks (listed and downloadable) and "big names" like Busta Rhymes and Frank Shamrock (he seemed uncomfortable btw); names non-MMA viewers should know.

That aside, I thought that there were some good aspects of the fights.

I liked seeing Baroni lose again. It makes me happy to see self-promoters like Baroni lose. I hope he never goes back into the ring.

It was cool seeing a progression from normative styles. Kimbo Slice (although sloppily-he'll definitely work on it) Carano and Young, all primarily strikers, actively defending and going to the ground. I think that's progression and puts the Mixed right back into MMA.

The Lawler fight showed how tense the promoters/fight doctors were on the first major network TV MMA promotion. You can't blame them. Think about this: why would they give both Smith and Lawler winners' purses? Management knew they were in the wrong.

But it won't happen again.

A lot of the things MMA fans saw and disliked will definitely be removed. But I thought the fights were not too bad. It wasn't a total wash. But like every good thing, it'll get mangled by the corporations. I'll still pay for a UFC fight.

But then again, it satisfied my urge to see Phil Baroni get knocked down.

Frank Shamrock sucks as a commentator.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I must admit that I was totaly turned off with the introduction of a fighter and having dancing girls, musical soundtracks (listed and downloadable) and "big names" like Busta Rhymes and Frank Shamrock just to add to the hype

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I woudln't pay to see UFC I'm afraid. there's far too many very good promotions here that charge loads less and have have far better match ups than UFC.
Lowest prices for UFC tickets here are $150 and rising. Everyone elses $50 approx.

OP
Jai

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Want to talk ticket prices? UFC is coming to Minnesota in Aug. Nose Bleed seats are $250 a pop. All floor seating is $600 a pop except cageside which I think was a grand a seat. Screw that.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Judging by the low view of avid martial artists about the EliteXC show, I think it's important to point out a bigger point. The show on free tv is not marketed to us overall. It's marketed to the general public in hopes to building the sport. A large portion of the viewers that night, I would be willing to bet, viewed the MMA for the first time. SO, while it might not get our overall approval, it did its job. All I heard and have seen since the show is the conversation of it--everywhere! That's more than what has taken place previous. As for Kimbo, yeah, he's not ready overall, in terms of technical skills. But remember, it's his 3rd fight. Pick any name you know in the sport. They weren't up to par, or fighting legit fighters in their first few fights. To move along in your career, you have to fight the lesser opponents, be it has beens or newbies.

Overall, hate the show or like it, hate Kimbo or like him, it all put the MMA on the map! As fans we have to applaud that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Putting MMA on the map at any cost isn't a good idea. We want people to see proper MMA not worked fights, fighters who can't make weight and bad reffing decisions. If it means prostituting MMA I'd rather it remained a minority sport.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I watched the airing and I thought it was bearable. Not outstanding by any means but bearable. I personally am enjoying watching Kimbo grow as a fighter. His ground game before was vritually non-existent and he has made some decent progress. I was suprised to see him gassed liek he was by the end of the fight but he has spirit. I thought it was a good match up to have a heavier and taller fighter that Kimbo couldn't man handle to fight against. It definitely gave him his first real taste of what MMA is going to be like. My one gripe is , even though I prefer traditional martial arts and was never a big fan of MMA , that ELiteXC is turning MMA into the WWE!!!! It is sadly becoming more of a "let's make a quick buck while it is popular" and make it entertainment instead of how it really started. It is sad. Another point which I am not is jsut as sad or sadder is, that if it becomes mainstream , people are going to get bored of it fast, unless there is lot's of blood, broken bones, etc........ Welcome to the de-evolution !!! Just my 2 cents.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Remember also, EliteXC is also the "minor leagues" of MMA, with lesser talent. Since your audience was mainly first timers or not as avid fans, a heavily marketed product is what you get. As for the bad decisions, stoppages, etc.. I agree and was upset as well. However, upon reflection, it was on free tv! There are going to be some sort of censoring or lessening of the violent results. The sport here is growing, not in a solid view like others. As for the making weight issue, it's not as big as deal as you think. Fighters weigh in at one weight, and fight heavier frequently. I'm sure if Kaitlin was weighed at fight time, she was probably over the limit as well. There wasn't a noticeable size difference that would have played out, favoring one over another. We're talking about a few pounds give or take, not a heavyweight against a middleweight.