Frances

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Currently riding out Frances at home. We are fortunate as we have not yet lost power. Probably helps that our power, cable, and phone lines run underground. The storm is sort of stuck out in the ocean right now, ensuring that we'll be battered with wind and rain for quite some time...last forecast I saw was about 40 hours for the storm to cross the state once it makes landfall.

We had one tree fall already, and the storm hasn't even made landfall yet. Fortunately, the tree fell across the street rather than across our house. Will post pics or links later, if possible.

Cthulhu
WHEEEEEeeeeeeee!!!

A

AaronLucia

Got the same problem here! Although it hasn't been too bad, hopefully the rest of Central Florida is faring the same. :)

D

Disco

Well, I know when to give up......... After this storm leaves the state, my place goes up for sale. Tornado alley looks a lot better than hurricane central. At least a tornado hits and leaves in a hurry and only affects fairly small areas. This storm, as the last one, impacts the entire state. Just too much damage and time under the gun. Now they say there's another storm gathering in the Atlantic (Ivan) and heading towards Florida. That's like kicking somebody after their in a coma. :whip:

A

AaronLucia

I still love Florida, i lived here 18 years and only once did we have a hint of a hurricane, and it wasn't anything. I serve in the Army in Texas for 4 years, then come back here and in the first 3 months i'm home, we have 2 REAL hurricanes, what gives? :)

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sent to me by my friend (a lapsed martial artist) in Orlando:

Thirty-one things that may help you deal with Frances.....
1. An oak tree on the ground looks four times bigger than it did standing up

2. Even after all these years it is still nice to spend time with Colonel Mustard in the ballroom with the lead pipe. (Clue!)

3. When house hunting look for closets with lots of leg room.

4. Water from the shower is much colder than water from the kitchen sink--- and tastes just as bad.

5. AA, C and D are the only alphabet we need ( batteries )

6. The four way stop is still an ingenious reflection of civility.

7. Radio can be the best way to watch television.

8. Chainsaw -wielding men are nothing to be afraid of.

9 . SUV's are the best makeshift tents on the market.

10. You can use your washing machine as a cooler.

11. It's your God given right to sit on your back porch and eat Chinese takeout by candlelight in your underwear.

12. We shouldn't complain about "useless" tools in the garage-- we actually DO need a generator

13. You can' t spell "priceless" without I-C-E.

14. Downed power lines make excellent security systems.

15. Lake Weir can generate waves.

16. Gasoline is a value at any price

17. Cell phones: Breaking up isn't hard to do.

18. The life blood of any disaster recovery is COFFEE

19. The need for your dog to go out and take care of business is inversely proportional to the severity of the storm.

20. Candlelight is better than botox--- it takes years off your appearance

21. Air Conditioning: BEST. INVENTION. EVER.

22. Water is a comfort food. But 3 day old Cheetos are too.

23. Shadow animals on the wall---Still fun.

24. No matter how hard the wind blows, roadside campaign signs will survive.

25. You should never admit to having power at your house in the presence of co workers or neighbors who do not.

26. There's a plus to having NOTHING in the refrigerator.

27. Getting through the day should be an Olympic event.

28. The movie theater can be a most pleasant place, even if the feature is Alien vs. Predator

29. Somebody's got it worse.

30. Somebody's got it better. Obviously, they are getting preferential treatment.

31. Singing Row Row Row your boat hundred times can be fun

Live Large