Fractals, DNA, and WCK...

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, I don't smoke weed. I'm just a naturally "random" thinker. You can blame today's gem of tangential thought on Mook. I was reading his thread on "running hands" and then got to thinking about how much I'm enjoying training students in the basic stuff, but how it works differently for me now. Having learned a lot more of the system, I can make each unit work so much better. Even the basic stuff isn't basic anymore. I now see all kinds of stuff in there that I never saw before. In fact it's like each little unit of movement contains a bit of everything essential about the whole art of WC. Like each cell of the body having the chromosomes and DNA to build the whole organism.

Another relevant analogy would be fractal geometry. Check out the animated clip of the Mandelbrot set below:

And still another way of looking at it would be to compare techniques like tan-sau, fook-sau and bong-sau to seeds that have all the DNA to grow into the whole system. Why it's like the basic form, SNT should be called something like the "Core Concept Form" or perhaps... "Little Idea Form"... Hey wait a minute!!!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree , there are techniques that I learned as a beginner that at the time I thought were so simple and basic.
But as my insight and understanding of the system increases , I have come to realise that they are wrapped in multiple layers of complexity.

I think I just got hypnotised by your fractal thingy. :eye-popping:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree , there are techniques that I learned as a beginner that at the time I thought were so simple and basic.But as my insight and understanding of the system increases , I have come to realise that they are wrapped in multiple layers of complexity.I think I just got hypnotised by your fractal thingy. :eye-popping:

It was explained to me early on, that all the pieces of WC are like a puzzle where all the pieces are the same shape.
I like the DNA analogy better.
My sifu always says that learning is teaching/teaching is learning. I always used to think that simply meant that you were understanding it better by explaining it to someone else. But I think it goes beyond that.
When you revisit the fundamentals, you are seeing it from a whole new perspective, and are now able to appreciate the depth of each technique.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not just Wing Chun. The same concept applies to jujutsu, and I suspect it applies to any art that you study deeply enough.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would definitely agree.
Going back to your fundamentals and especially teaching them to others pulls you deeper down the WC rabbit hole so to speak.
You find your mind noticing new details about relaxation, structure, ging generation,etc.
Also, I've recently started a blog and have found that writing down the what, how and why I do what I do has opened up a new level of individual training for me.
Recently I've been training about 1-2 hours a day training only fundamentals but with a new level of mind/body connection and focus and I'm loving it.

Latest Discussions