Form crossover

paulee

White Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much (if any) crossover there is of forms in CMA? I know that Bagua and Xingyi can crosstrain fairly easily, but have any specific forms been passed around the different styles?

The reason I ask is that in my studies of Kenpo, I have learned Tiger Crane, and Book Set. While perusing youtube the other day, I saw a video of a gentleman doing a Hung Gar form that looked remarkably like Book Set, and the Tiger Crane I have seen has varied from practioner to practioner. thanks.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think its fair to say you will find most styles will have cross over techniques because there is only so many ways the body moves.
What differs is the theory on how to get to apply it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Different styles have Pao Chui - Shaolin Pao Chui, Chen Taijiquan Pao Chui, etc.

There are multiple cross over postures that can look exactly the same but in many cases slightly to greatly different. There is a Xingyi Tiger a Shaolin Tiger and a Tiger style but I do not think the Xingyi and Shaolin look to similar but I am not 100% sure there. All Taijiquan styles have similar posture names and in some cases they look very similar in others they do not, wave hands is a good example of this, compare wave hands in Chen, Yang, Wu, Hao, Sun, Zhaobao and you will see this rather well.

But to be honest I do not see the cross over from Xingyi to Bagua in form unless you are talking higher levels of Shanxi Xingyi or the additional Xingyi bits that have been added to some Bagua styles.

But just about all CMA styles have Qinna in them to varying degrees as well as Shuaijiao to varying degrees as well or you can just specifically train Qinna or Shuaijiao