Forced to work St. Patricks Day

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings All..Is anyone out there being forced to work on St. Patricks Day?? Coppers, FireFighters, EMT's, bartenders, bouncers etc.. It's on a Friday this year which means a lot of these once -a year- driinkers will call off work and get started early..
Now my real opinion of that holiday will be withheld so I don't honk off any one of Irish heritage..My Sgt just sent a memo out that anyone who calls of in order to avoid dealing with all the idiots will need a Doctors excuse in order to return to work..

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not a federal holiday, so I imagine that most people will be working. I'll be at work; I save my comp days for other things, like the day before a tournament, to prep and/or travel.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Im working too...

Maybe ill bring some corned beef for lunch.

Then again, maybe I will eat somthing good.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a new Irish pub opening in Duluth, so I'm going there. The opening is bittersweet because they are opening in the same place my favorite fly shop used to operate. They went out of business despite my patronage. :(

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm off, but then, I take vacation every St. Patty's day. (Irish catholic cop, I'm a walking sterotype). I don't go to the bars tho, we have a traditional Irish meal along with traditional Irish beverages, but we stay home.
:cheers:
Pax
Cujo

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cujo said:
I'm off, but then, I take vacation every St. Patty's day. (Irish catholic cop, I'm a walking sterotype). I don't go to the bars tho, we have a traditional Irish meal along with traditional Irish beverages, but we stay home.
:cheers:
Pax
Cujo

Now THAT makes the most sense...

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hell, I have to work. I live in Japan..... I am trying to find some frozen corned beef to make up this week in advance of the festivities. I don't think you turkeys can imagine just how much I miss those little bits of life from overseas. To you it is just something you have to do, or get to do, once a year. For me, I have not had corned beef and cabbege for over five years I think. Amazing how you desire something once you can't get it.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The wonderful thing about my job as a financial advisor is that I can go out drinking on St. Patty's Day and still consider it working! I'm prospecting for new business! Oh yeah, life is good....

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm off this year. Plan to pop my "Quiet Man" DVD in, toss back a few cool (not cold) ones, and avoid the amateur drinkers who feel compelled to be "Irish for a day".

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, is this thread old..But I just hadda add to it...Yesterday was the FIRST time in 21 years I was not working as a cop on St Paddys Day...IT WAS WONDERFUL...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kind of a sedate St. Patty's up here, compared to what I have seen in the past. The Nor'easter we had over the weekend flooded out several of our roads, so I think many people stayed home.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kind of a sedate St. Patty's up here, compared to what I have seen in the past. The Nor'easter we had over the weekend flooded out several of our roads, so I think many people stayed home.

We actually had nice weather for Ohio..Sun was out bright and it wasn't that cold..Saw lots of party goers heading to a local pub offering corn beef and cabbage...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful day; clear sunny & real good temps. We popped one guy for some outstanding warrants, then ended up with a decent interview on a guy I've been looking for... Only worked about 2 hours overtime.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We actually had nice weather for Ohio..Sun was out bright and it wasn't that cold..Saw lots of party goers heading to a local pub offering corn beef and cabbage...

It was beautiful here in West Michigan too. I took a vacation day and went out with friends to an Irish pub in a tiny town for the obligatory Guinness. The town (more specifically the pub) has an annual parade the runs about a block long. The pub is halfway down the parade route and in 23 years they have yet to complete the parade. :) Then we went to a brewpub that has a beergarden area with horseshoe pit and ate pizza and hung out outside for most of the afternoon quaffing some tasty brews. Then ended up at another brewpub that makes some of the best beer in the world. Was home by 8:20 PM and managed to secure two Dark Lord Day Golden Tickets.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow, is this thread old..But I just hadda add to it...Yesterday was the FIRST time in 21 years I was not working as a cop on St Paddys Day...IT WAS WONDERFUL...

I remember the first election night after my journalism career. I did something completely silly and useless, and didn't even look at the returns for about three days. Free at last!!

Congratulations, Drac.

Latest Discussions