Forced Feeding

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I saw this, I was almost as broken up as when Dahmer was killed in prison. Almost.

I hear what you're saying, but the families of Markov's alleged victims are very upset that he killed himself before trial. Dahmer was convicted and in prison.

Markov was in jail, waiting. His alleged victims will always be just that -- alleged victims.

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
He's in prison, so basically he should do what hes damn well told to do, and if he doesnt he should be made.

Sounds harsh but honestly, its prison not normal society. If you dont want people force feeding and stuff then dont commit crimes and go to prison.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why dis non-violent protests? Playing on public sympathey seems a more advanced solution to a problem. The only other option is violent protest, and that is the work of a two year old mentality.
Sean

Because its the job of the prison staff to ensure the safey and well being of the inmates. Imagine the lawsuits that would pile up if every inmate in every facility in the state, did this? The families of these people would be screaming for justice, and asking why the state let their loved one die.

If this guy is claiming that he was wrongfully imprisoned, then its the job of the guys lawyers to fix, not the public.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the side of the State:

The state has a vested interest in maintaining good order in prisons. Prisoners who are allowed to dictate their own behavior not only represent a threat to prison authority, but encourage others to do so as well.

The state has a vested interest in ensuring that prisoners do not use the circumstances of their imprisonment (such as a hunger strike) to foment unrest in society outside the prison. Such demonstrations tend to attract media attention, which in turn tends to attract potential sympathizers.

The state also has a legal obligation to provide basic health care to inmates; obviously if a prisoner maintains a hunger strike long enough, they risk death or serious injury. The state typically take steps to protect inmates from being able to injure themselves or others when such conditions exist, including isolation cells, restraints, or whatever else is reasonably deemed necessary.

On the side of the Prisoner:

Prisoners have severely restricted rights, but in general they are allowed to pursue legal avenues to gaining attention from others. That might include letter writing, filing petitions, writs, and appeals, or calling others on the phone in whatever circumstances they are allowed to do so.

Hunger strikes are among the few 'force multipliers' that are essentially non-violent and which tend to attract media attention to the situation the prisoner wishes brought to the public attention.

In other words, I understand why prisoners go on hunger strikes. It's a sophisticated form of protest that is designed to get others to pay attention to them or their message, whatever it might be. However, the State has an overriding interest in not allowing such behavior. I support the force-feeding of hunger-striking inmates if it becomes necessary.