For ALL black belts, what was your graduation like?

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I graduated over a year ago to my black belt and am curious to hear what some other graduations are like. Like my instructor says "you only get your black belt once"

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was a great day, especially because my eldest son earned his black belt the same day and a fellow TKDin that earned his black belt 18 months earlier just got back from Iraq stopped in to see us test.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mine was in 1887 if I recall, it was my fisrth degree black belt and the examintaion was:

-Technique.-stances,punches,defenses,kicking.
-Poomse.
-Breakin.
-Sparring one on one.
-sàrring with 3 black belts at once.
-Self defense aplications.

On decelmber I will aply for the second degree black belt if Lord allows me.

Manny

OP
tko4u

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It was a great day, especially because my eldest son earned his black belt the same day and a fellow TKDin that earned his black belt 18 months earlier just got back from Iraq stopped in to see us test.

That must have been some celebration! CONGRATULATIONS! What all did the ceremony include?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I graduated over a year ago to my black belt and am curious to hear what some other graduations are like. Like my instructor says "you only get your black belt once"

Well, once per art anyway :) ;)

My TKD "graduation" was, well, OK, Josh (good to see you here, btw ;)) but not as nice as your current instructor makes them —*he really goes all out and makes it a memorable occassion.

Ours was simply a matter of lining up everybody who had tested (this was about two weeks after the test or so) and handing us a belt one by one while the class, seated in their regular rows, applauded each of us. (shrug)

My HKD "graduation" consisted of my instructor handing me and my partner (who was also testing that day) our belts after we had dressed back in while the testing panel applauded us.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mine was back in stone age (1985). My instructor called me up, told me to take off my belt, tied a BB on me & we started class. As if it were any other Friday night. I honestly don't remember the way I received my 2nd Dan. 3rd Dan was a lot more memorable because GM Sell gave it to me. Since there were many VIP's there (GM Park, Hae Man & Kwanjang:)) it was memorable.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was in 1887 if I recall, it was my fisrth degree black belt and the examintaion was:

-Technique.-stances,punches,defenses,kicking.
-Poomse.
-Breakin.
-Sparring one on one.
-sàrring with 3 black belts at once.
-Self defense aplications.

On decelmber I will aply for the second degree black belt if Lord allows me.

Manny

And I thought I was waiting a long time to do my second dan!!!

OP
tko4u

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
And I thought I was waiting a long time to do my second dan!!!

no doubt! I hope there is a typo in there, otherwise he might be a bit of a slow learner. ;)

ihraxhunnie

White Belt
Reaction score
at my 1st bb test, i was supposed to have to do all the forms (white - black) but the grandmaster was there (whom i've only met 2-3 times) and he took over the test from my master asking me just to do my required black belt form, the white belt, and my favorite one from all of them. Then we went on to do our made up onesteps combinations, breaking and sparring. i remember crying and having an asthma attack simutaniously while sparring my 2nd or 3rd round but still being yelled at to keep going.

so basically, despite the details not given lol it was a difficult test for me but i was awarded my belt by my grandmaster following the test in front of everyone else that had tested. along with my certificate. It was a big deal because the students are not awarded their belts the day of testing unless its for a black belt rank. and that the grandmaster awarded it to me made it even more special.

as it probably should be, 1st dan was the most nerve racking. I was no doubt nervous about my 2nd dan test but i knew vaguely what to expect. it was quite a bit easier in the sparring category also only because it was not accompanied with a cue rank test. I think the essays were the most time consuming and tedious part of any of my bb tests.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mine was back in stone age (1985). My instructor called me up, told me to take off my belt, tied a BB on me & we started class. As if it were any other Friday night. I honestly don't remember the way I received my 2nd Dan. 3rd Dan was a lot more memorable because GM Sell gave it to me. Since there were many VIP's there (GM Park, Hae Man & Kwanjang:)) it was memorable.

My BB ceremonies were the opposite to me in meaning and the way the BB presentations went anyway. The 1st one to me was extra special because I had finally made it to 1st dan. Our saubumnim had a ceremony for the new BBs in my group. It was a really special night. Although we have had special ceremonies and parties at my dojang for the next 2 dan ranks I've reached, that 1st one is still the most special and memorable to me.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My test was during a color belt test and black belts were presented right afterwards. A big deal for me, but nothing super special was made of it. With my current instructor we have a specific black belt test once a year for everyone testing 1st through 3rd. Everyone tests on one big day and it is black belts only, each candidate invites 10 people and current students may come if they chip in for the food. Afterwards we have the belt presentation and each new black belt has someone say a few words about them (like a parent, spouse, friend, teacher, etc). Then we have catered food and cake and just enjoy each other's company. For 4th Dan I was the only one who tested with the same type of event.
Another special thing we do.... all of our black belt candidates have a final "big break" (concrete for adults, multiple boards for pre-teens) We place the black belt behind (or underneath) the breaking material and the candidate breaks through that final obstacle and picks up his belt. He then holds it until everyone testing has completed their break and then my instructor ties the belt on each one of them.

Latest Discussions