Food Revolution

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anybody watching "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution"? It's an eyeopener yet at the same time haven't we all known all along that the schools have been feeding our kids crap? We have just been burying our heads in the sand.

What I found politically interesting was how the "lunch ladies" and the School officials were seriously arguing for pizza over chicken and rice because the lunch had to have "two breads" per government regulation.

Per government regulation...

The same government that want's to control our health care.

If you haven't watched this show, you should be.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, Jamie's heart is in the right place all right. The big problem he's got, both here and in the States, is that kids are addicted early to the salt, sugar and fat 'rushes' - their brain chemistry is already 'educated' to want those before they even get to school.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I must have missed this thread when you posted it. I have been watching the show and enjoying it immensely. Jamie's enthusiasm is infectious, and the positive influence he has on everyone around him is inspiring.

The flash mob from episode 3 was brilliant as was the way he handled the teens at the high school. I think that our schools locally are in worse shape.

As for the government, I don't think it's as easy as that. Things have been moving this direction for decades. I remember in the 80's when President Reagan gave the USDA 90 days to come up with ways to streamline the reimbursable lunch programs with cost saving measures that would save money but theoretically, maintain nutritional standards. This was the origin of our move to processed, hand held foods over freshly prepared meals, along with the famous "Ketchup is a vegetable" screw up.

The government is no better or worse than any large private corporation. In both public and private enterprise, in choosing between quality, timeliness or economy, you only get to choose two of the three.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah, but his complete lack of fear and willingness to lead by following is tremendous. I'll forgive the hair! :)

He has a vision, but recruits talents and trusts them even as they take huge risks. The flash mob in particular was like, wow. As a leader, he had an idea, but when he approached the kids at that college, they were clearly inspired to make his idea work and the result was something better than anyone could have expected.

Latest Discussions