FMAT: R.I.P. Johnny Chiuten

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
R.I.P. Johnny Chiuten
By maliksi77 - 10-06-2010 08:54 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

This is a little late, but just heard that GM Johnny Chiuten passed away on Sept. 13 of this year. GM Johnny, whose name may or may not be familiar with folks on this forum, was a living legend in martial arts in the Philippines. He was an inheritor of Lao Kim’s dragon-tiger style of Hong Cha kung-fu. He was also a follower of Anciong Bacon in Balintawak, as well an influential force behind Lapunti arnis de abanico during the early days of that system’s formation.

Not just a martial theorist, GM Johnny was a renowned fighter during the days of the bloody frat wars in Manila in the 1960s and 1970s. He was a top leader of the Beta Sigma fraternity at the UP (University of the Philippines) whose combat exploits are talked about with awe to this day. He was, at one time, an instructor for the NBI (Philippine FBI) and also an official of the Karate Federation of the Philippines.

I saw GM Johnny perform demonstrations in the 1970s together with his frat brothers including Noli Nolasco and Manny Goyena. Curiously, GM Johnny never capitalized on the commercial success of the martial arts. Two of his well-known followers are Jopet Laraya and Rene Navarro, both authors and teachers who immigrated to the West. I heard that he came to Southern California in 2008 and now regret not having caught up with him then. R.I.P. GM Johnny!

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions