Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
"Old Man Style"
By Guro Dave Gould - 05-14-2010 04:47 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Hi guys,

I hope that all are well and that everyone is keeping challenged by their daily training. As I get older I notice the affect that gravity has on the human body and one can only question how that affects ones ability to move and ones over all combative effect.

I notice that as I advance in years my priorities change ever so slightly concerning the combative equation. The end goal remains the same which is to survive but how I realize that goal seems to differ from decade to decade. I do notice where physical youth is lacking now it is exceedingly compensated with efficiency and the need to utilize ones mind more. Whereby minimizing risk while maximizing gain has been the adopted mantra in training and fighting thereby replacing the reckless goals and endless energy that youth seems to offer us in abundance.

This reminds me of something that Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite discussed with me many years ago when I had first started training with him. He told me that as he got older he was not able to be as aggressive and explosive as in previous years when he was younger and that he also had fallen victim to being forced to change his combative priorties as dictated by necessity in liu of something more achievable from the vantage point of an older person who does not have youth to fall back on. He then told me of the "Old Man Style" and he used Antonio "Tatang" Illustrisimo as his example.

Coming from the "De Campo Uno-Dos-Tres Orehenal" approach in utilizing "solo-baston" and "doble-baston" where striking with full power and speed (intention) until your hands bled and then you were expected to continue striking in an effort to enhance your combative stamina and endurance, Punong Guro Sulite really began to see the value of the edged weapon genre and the opportunities & advantages which edged weapons lended itself to an older person. He considered the art of fighting with a stick as a younger persons game and as one advanced in age one should adapt more to edged weapons such as knife, machete or sword. As edged weapons offered more opportunities which did not demand as much physical effort or strain on the human body and simultaneously limited risk in its usage in comparison to its counter part being impact weapons.

With edged weapons the verdict is rendered and delivered with deadly and swift results, but ones objectives with the blade are easier to realize as opposed to striking with impact weapons where the need for power and speed are ever present and once we tire we become more and more vulnerable to a younger opponent. Which is why ones mind and the ability to judge each situation with clarity becomes more and more essential, as one bad decision could lead to difficult consequences if acting out of haste. Then I think of "Tatang" Illustrisimo who even in his 90`s was a force to be rekined with and no-one young or old would want to see him place them in his sights while engaging with a "pinuti" or "Itak". He was as respected and feared as much as an older person as when he were younger, and as I advance in age decade after decade I see myself adopting his method of training and fighting more and more from a strategic point of view.

Not to take anything away from those who prefer impact weapons over edged weapons. Manong Jose D. Caballero of De Campo Uno-Dos-Tres Orehenal well into his 80`s was well respected and feared for his abilities with a stick and although he had to slightly adjust and modify his art to cater to his advanced age he was a warrior to the end and could severely F*** up your day with vengeance and fury if you made the mistake of crossing paths with him in anger or redemption. But alot of maintenance is required to be able to stay on top of such a demanding weapon combination as impact weapons over all.

Just as years ago Punong Guro Edgar G. Sulite saw himself leaning closer and closer to edged weapons as he planned to drift into old age, I in like manner see myself leaning more and more in that direction as each decade robs from me a younger mans stamina and endurance. I expect to go well into old age relying on impact weapons where applicable but I always have my blade well within reach just in case my older age seems to compromise my situation, the blade is there acting as a Guardian Angel to perform at optimum effect should I find my self in a weakend state staring death square in the eyes.

I still train and give my utmost in utilizing impact weapons and I plan on doing so for many years to come, but edged weapons and the advantage which they bring to an older person are ever within my reach and as one decade diminishes into the next my dependence on edged weapons ever so clearly reveals itself with strong purpose.

Although I welcome all responses this post is catered more for those who are getting on in years, my question to you is have you questioned the effect of impact weapons as you get older? And if so are you training more and more with edged weapons to offset those disadvantages which seem to plague us as we get older and force us to resolve our problems with more finite solutions? I await youre responses... Train well, ciao.

Regards,
Guro Dave Gould.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions