FMAT: Evaluating An FMA System

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Evaluating An FMA System
By Shaun - 05-15-2010 03:02 AM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

I am sometimes asked about different FMA systems and what I think about them. I feel this an important issue as there is MUCH hype about what is or is not good FMA. Here is what I look for in the Filipino martial arts.

When I evaluate FMA in general,I look for good stick work.
IMHO, good baston work in the most difficult thing to do in FMA. In order to wield a baston well you have to be able to generate power, which is essentially good body dynamics combined with great footwork delivered with perfect timing. It is the combining of all three element which makes for good FMA.
Equally and vitally important and so often not in the teaching syllabus (from what I have seen), is the ability to deal with full power strikes that can kill you with one blow.
Finally, I look for a smooth flow of the baston or bolo/machete/ itak when a strike is delivered.By this I mean is there any wobble from side to side of the weapon when the strike is incoming, as there should not be, even when the strike is delivered with full power,there must be complete control of the weapon - this is relatively easy when wielding a short weapon such as a knife, but becomes much more difficult with a typically sized baston.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions