FMAT: help a noob understand something

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
help a noob understand something
By Zak Zak - 05-07-2012 09:46 PM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Before going into something like jkd concepts, is it better to build a base in another art like silat, muay thai or boxing.

I'm asking because I like the conditioning emphasised in muay thai and boxing and some forms of silat but I also like jkd concepts and doce pares. Like with muay thai and boxing i've noticed it's very rare to see people that are fat because fitness is emphasised but with other arts i've noticed you get a lot of fat guys.

My reasons for wanting to train is to tone up get fit and learn how to fight, but I want to learn an art that teaches everything like empty hand, grappling, weapons long range fighting and short range, in other words a complete art, and I realise boxing and muay thai doesn't go into weapons or grappling but the body conditioning is very high.

So I was wondering if any jkd schools or doce pares schools emphasise fitness and conditioning like boxing and muay thai does?

I live in london so any school recomendations would be appreciated

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

gardawamtu1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Our school teaches JKD, wing chun, Kali, Muay Thai, Silat, and BJJ. You are right that the Muay Thai will do the most for aerobic conditioning. I am working hard in it right now to lose some weight. I could and have practiced JKD and Kali primarily for a couple of years with minimal weight loss. We do work up a sweat in both, but not as intense as MT. We concentrate more on technique in those classes. JKD is a "take the best of everything and put it together" kind of art. MT really helps our striking techniques in JKD; wing chun helps our trapping; bjj our grappling, etc. JKD also emphasizes transitioning between ranges: moving from and to kicking, punching, trapping, clinch, grappling, and ground work ranges. It is a nice all around art. We don't work with weapons in JkD, but obviously do in Kali. If you are looking for a wide range of self-defense techniques, I would go JKD. For conditioning, you might want more of a sport art, but it will also depend on the school.

I've really enjoyed cross-training with JKD as a hub, and training in the other arts to work on specific aspects like kicking, grappling, conditioning, etc.

Latest Discussions