FMAT: Empty your cup...so that you can see your board-breaking skills won't help you here.

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Empty your cup...so that you can see your board-breaking skills won't help you here.
By arnisador - 05-13-2010 09:37 AM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

At the college martial arts class I teach, I have a real problem with students who think they know it all because they have studied some martial arts before. I demonstrate a technique and tell them to practice it but instead several of them try to teach it to their partner, explaining it from the POV of their art (usually TKD or Western fencing). It took me a long time to break the fencers of the notion that FMA is played back-and-forth on a line, like competitive fencing, and get them to step off-line. As a FMAer I'm used to people only wanting to sample the weapons part of the art, but I still wish they'd open their minds a bit more.

Last night a new student came for the first time (which is odd, as the quarter ends next week). He was a 19 year old 2nd degree black belt in TKD with 12 years' experience, as he promptly informed me. At one point we were tied up doing a cross-arm lock--I had lifted my lesson plan from the video in this post by Mr. Hartman--and I asked him, now that he had me locked, how he'd use that to his advantage? I expected an answer like "elbow to the head" but instead he showed me how he'd jump back, lift his foot, and use a front thrust kick to "break your stick".

I was dumbfounded. There was too much wrong with this to get into, and I do always hope that I can bring these people around eventually, so I pointed out that he was giving up the advantage of the lock and the closed range, and that the stick is really only held in my one hand and wouldn't be braced enough for him to be able to break it, let alone that we don't fight with rattan. He was unperturbed. That was his plan.

He went on after to class to explain why no one can grapple with him because if they try to tackle him he can always punch them in the head first. I asked if he had ever tried this against a wrestler or BJJer and was told no, just one guy who wants to be a cop. That didn't shake his confidence.

Kick the stick I'm holding to break it...I don't know what to say. It may be the single dumbest thing ever said to me by someone who doesn't get what the weapon can do. I may need to make him sit and watch Enter the Dragon and hear what Bruce Lee had to say about board- and brick-breaking skills. They're great confidence builders, but don't get cocky.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

TigerLove

Green Belt
Reaction score
Maybe he is one of the guys who made 2nd degree mostly by performing forms. I know pretty much people of 1st and 2nd degree who has no any idea about fighting or self defense, or they have stupid ideas about it (e.g. breaking stick?!!?).

And, even if i train taekwon do myself, i must admit this is most common in taekwon do.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its people like this, who you need to make an example of. I mean, its one thing to ask questions, but if you're being down right stupid, you need to be 'shown' how things will work. Something tells me, that if this kid tried any of this with Remy Presas, the kid would be slapped around like a rag doll.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I posted a reply on FMATalk as well.

I think there is only one way to handle this. A little pain is required.

Just place the stick so that there is an interferrence fit with the shin or ankle and the stick. No force really required from the person holding the stick. Just allow the person's force to do the work and damage by coming into contact with the weapon.

I have never had it take more than once.

Thanks

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"He was a 19 year old 2nd degree black belt in TKD with 12 years' experience"

That should've told you alot right there. I've had many types of encounters with people coming from other styles to our Ju-Jitsu club.

When I come across these "know it alls" I have a tendancy to "empty their cups" very quickly.

Michael