Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
By Laura Conaway
FriNov 9, 2012 1:55 PM EST
JThompstonDistrict4/Flickr

$KEN DETZNER.jpg

KenDetzner is the one in the gray suit.
FloridaGovernor Rick Scott is defending his decision not to extend early voting, as Steve notedearlier. "I’m very confident that the right thinghappened," he told Daralene Jonesof WFTV Channel 9 in Orange County, Florida. As Jones reported, Scott dodgedher question over and over.
Meanwhile,Florida Secretary of State Ken Detzner sounded a different note in an interview withlocal WOKV radio. Detzner suggested that his boss, GovernorScott, knows there were problems:
Detzner said Governor Scottasked the State Department to make recommendations to him to solve some of theissues "with regard to the enthusiasm for early voting."
"It's anadministrative issue," he said. "I think we can address it and haveit fixed for the next time and I think that's what people want and we're goingto fix it."
It’shard to tell from the story whether Scott, by way of Detzner, sees voterenthusiasm as being more at fault than the state’s failure to prepare. Giventhat Scott cut early voting in Florida almost in half and then, seeing longlines during early voting, refused to extend it, and now says he did the rightthing, I could see where folks would be leery. Governor Scott himself comparedthe state's reaction to the election to that of a businessreassessing its performance.
Asfor administration fixes*, Detzner tells CNNthat "every year since 2000 we have improved in the process." He saysFlorida can alleviate lines by changing the law to allow for more pollingplaces in more kinds of locations. See also: California,and remember, broken elections are not just Florida'sproblem.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Election Day in the United States is the day set by law for the general elections of public officials. It occurs on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November, which is usually also the first Tuesday in November. The earliest possible date is November 2 and the latest possible date is November 8. The next election will be held on November 5, 2013.
It is the first Tuesday after the First Monday in November, BY LAW.
The law also requires employers to allow their employees time to vote.
There is NO need for early voting.
I bet if on the third Wednesday of July someone handed out hundred dollar bills, no one would have a problem taking time out of their day to get there...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know this has nothing whatsoever to do with the political direction of the OP, but I can't help it.

WTF?????
Why is there a conquistador in the picture????

It had to be asked...
[/COLOR][/FONT]

You anti-conquistador bigot!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You anti-conquistador bigot!

Are you kidding? I'm a big fan. On the wall above this computer are two matched rapier and dagger sets, as well as various other sharp objects from various European periods.

He's still out of place, given the context provided.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is the first Tuesday after the First Monday in November, BY LAW.
The law also requires employers to allow their employees time to vote.
There is NO need for early voting.
I bet if on the third Wednesday of July someone handed out hundred dollar bills, no one would have a problem taking time out of their day to get there...

Actually whether the law requires employers to give employees time to vote depends on state law, there is no federal statute.

California has a generous law that includes time off with pay. Massachusetts only has such a requirement in certain industries and under certain conditions. New Hampshire has no such provision at all but states an employee may vote absentee if they expect to be at work or in transit for the regular scheduled hours of the municipal polling place.

http://www.findlaw.com/voting-rights-law.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here, going to the polls is rather festive. You can register (in NH) on election day which I think is a better solution for working people than early voting. Plus the schools where we vote often offer baked goods for the voters....usually with more goodies for sale as a fundraiser for the kids activities.

Vote here. We have cookies :D

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here, going to the polls is rather festive. You can register (in NH) on election day which I think is a better solution for working people than early voting. Plus the schools where we vote often offer baked goods for the voters....usually with more goodies for sale as a fundraiser for the kids activities.

Vote here. We have cookies :D

We have brownies. Perhaps next election they will be ... special brownies.

And yes, I plan on dragging that out often, so mellow owt.

Latest Discussions