Firefighters Die While Searching For Children

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I found this article to be sad reading. What was really worse (for me) is that these guys were volunteers (read: NO PAY) for what they do (read: Risk Their Lives) to help others. More so that it was needless because obviously the dept. wasn't notified at the scene that everyone got out.
Snippet from the article
EVANSTON, Wyo. (AP) -- A day after two volunteer firefighters lost their lives in a fiery explosion, investigators resumed the search for clues into the cause of the town home blaze and ensuing blast.

The victims of Monday's fire were Jacob Cook, 23, who had been married only a few weeks, and Robert Henderson, 39, a married father of three. Both were Evanston residents.

The two died from injuries suffered in an explosion after they went into a burning town house to attempt a rescue of children reportedly trapped inside. As it turned out, all occupants had safely vacated the complex.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Firefighters have one of the hardest jobs there is; period. Volunteers even above that. I interact with these folks all the time, from rescue crews to EMTs to the older guys who direct traffic on our scenes. If you don't already, seriously think about giving something to your local volunteer company (if you have one); they do far, far more than you realize. The sacrifice made by Cook and Henderson is only the latest example.

(written by a cop who freely admits he could not do a firefighters job)

Latest Discussions