Fight Quest Hapkido

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On friday fight Quest had a series about Hapkido anyone see it.

I thought this was actually a great episode for both men and that they did a good job explaining Hapkido. What is everyone else's take on it?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I caught the Hapkido episode and really enjoyed it. I think I'll keep that one on the DVR for a little while and check it out again and maybe try a couple of the moves in class, despite the warning during the show that they are professionals and we shouldn't try it. ;)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I caught the Hapkido episode and really enjoyed it. I think I'll keep that one on the DVR for a little while and check it out again and maybe try a couple of the moves in class, despite the warning during the show that they are professionals and we shouldn't try it. ;)

I alreadt tried some yesterday and that wrist lock throw man I need that one.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Actually, that show put Hapkido in a bad light. Hapkido does not have any sports venues, even though there are some that are trying to introduce a competition aspect. The sparring really looked very weak, compared to other styles that have been shown and that unto itself was the undoing of trying to show what Hapkido is.

If I may, I would like to offer a friendly warning to those that wish to try the joint locks/throws. DON"T!!!........unless you know what your doing or there is someone available who can show you the proper procedures. It dosen't take much to ruin a wrist, elbow or shoulder or worse.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I alreadt tried some yesterday and that wrist lock throw man I need that one.

That really isn't a throw at all. Used, the recipient would probably crumple but definately not fly through the air (unless they were a martial artist or gymnist trying to save their wrist from breaking with an air fall).

We do falls to provide partners with a greater range of motion as they practice some of our wristlock techniques, but our style does not fall out of that particular one; we just tap out.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I may, I would like to offer a friendly warning to those that wish to try the joint locks/throws. DON"T!!!........unless you know what your doing or there is someone available who can show you the proper procedures. It dosen't take much to ruin a wrist, elbow or shoulder or worse.

That really isn't a throw at all. Used, the recipient would probably crumple but definately not fly through the air (unless they were a martial artist or gymnist trying to save their wrist from breaking with an air fall).

We do falls to provide partners with a greater range of motion as they practice some of our wristlock techniques, but our style does not fall out of that particular one; we just tap out.
I agree wholeheartedly with both of these folks. The flying through the air that you see are breakfalls that are done by folks that know what's coming and what the potential damage WILL be if they allow the technique to continue to it's logical conclusion. If you want to work locks and throws of that sort then try out an aikido or hapkido school. They'll explain the way the techniques work alot better than I can online. Many of the throws that are done with the wrist work by concentrating ALL of uke's energy into about a 1 inch area of the wrist. You're looking at a spiral fracture of the forearm and a radial head seperation if these are done at force to someone who doesn't know the proper way to roll out of it.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely the first thing you need to learn in Hapkido is how to fall, and how to roll. Locks and throws NEED to come after that! The various rolls and falls are fun to do though, and it isn't all punishing slams to the ground. But like others have said, I wouldn't start on the locks and throws until you knew how to hit the ground safely and quickly in those instances.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Good episode. We already do a number of wrist and other joint locks, so I got a few different ideas for variations on some stuff we already do. It made me want to do Hapkido :)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good episode. We already do a number of wrist and other joint locks, so I got a few different ideas for variations on some stuff we already do. It made me want to do Hapkido :)
If that didn't make you want to study Hapkido then this should.
[yt]yalIg2l1XxM[/yt]

DRay

White Belt
Reaction score
I loved the episode. I note about the sparring: I'm sure when the black belts spar each other it's much harder than when they spar the TV show hosts.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows I already know some wrist locks and throws and I do relize your oartner has to be in on that particular throw but it looked great and something I would love to learn. I also relize that I would need someone that already knows this type of move before trying it. Please give me some credit for 45 years in the Martial Arts.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows I already know some wrist locks and throws and I do relize your oartner has to be in on that particular throw but it looked great and something I would love to learn. I also relize that I would need someone that already knows this type of move before trying it. Please give me some credit for 45 years in the Martial Arts.
Nope, nuh-uh, not gonna do it.:lool:

Just yanking your chain, Terry. The response you got is a standard response from those of us that train in arts that specialize in joint locks and throws. Far too often we see folks who watch a demo and go home and try the stuff on the neighbor and wind up on the evening news. I'm sure you've had the same happen after a TKD demo. It wasn't a personal jab ('cause we all love ya) but more of an ingrained reaction.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well...I wouldn't feel right if I just slid on by this one, now would I?

My take? Meh. It coulddawuddashudda been better if (insert gripe here).

Bottom line..ya gotta respect the Masters and the KHF for putting their students out there like that..especially when all my fellow Hapkidoin know exactly what happened to a chunk of the curriculum to make it possible*do I feel a draft?*

Look..for those of us who have sparred like that..it's no easy feat. It does take some guts and some significant time spent on good hard training. Caveat...You do have to put a lot of Hapkido-specific training on hold for that purpose. It's just bad for business.

I'm not having a go at them,I just don't think it represented the complexity of technique contained in Hapkido well.

What do I know,though?..Any publicity is good publicity.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
,I just don't think it represented the complexity of technique contained in Hapkido well.

To someone who didn't know anything about MA, I would think they (the teachers and black belts) did make it look easy. But isn't that the way someone who is really, really good does it? :)

As someone who has done a bit of this kind of technique, I could really appreciate the complexity of what they were doing even though they 'made it look easy' !

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To someone who didn't know anything about MA, I would think they (the teachers and black belts) did make it look easy. But isn't that the way someone who is really, really good does it? :)

As someone who has done a bit of this kind of technique, I could really appreciate the complexity of what they were doing even though they 'made it look easy' !
You want to do a demo that runs people away from your school? Make things look so complex that the average guy or gal says to themselves that there is no way in hell I'd ever be able to do that.

There is no art in the workd worth studying that a one hour show is going to do justice to. The fact that so many shows are dedicated to the martial arts right now (serious shows) is a real boon to the arts.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I wasn't preaching to you, honest :D Just stating something the white belts who might pop into this thread in the days and years to come should be aware of.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wasn't preaching to you, honest :D Just stating something the white belts who might pop into this thread in the days and years to come should be aware of.

Same here: I wasn't so much directing that at you, Terry, so much as just putting it out there for any/all readers; general information.

Latest Discussions