Fiction MA Books you'd recommend

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The Belgariad series by David and Leigh Eddings has some martial arts in it, although not specifically described as a particular system. It is a high fantasy series, not bad for the genre. The martial arts is definitely not a main focus, but is fit in where appropriate and decently done in a minimalistic way.
Well, by this standard, there are probably thousands of terrific fantasy or science fiction books that are worth a read, tangentially related to martial art-like stuff.

If you haven't read them, the Battle Circle trilogy by Piers Anthony is a good one, written before he started churning out the soulless Xanth novels.
Jim butcher is quite the avid martial artist.

I wish the TV show were a little better. The books are pretty cool.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, by this standard, there are probably thousands of terrific fantasy or science fiction books that are worth a read, tangentially related to martial art-like stuff.

If you haven't read them, the Battle Circle trilogy by Piers Anthony is a good one, written before he started churning out the soulless Xanth novels.

I wish the TV show were a little better. The books are pretty cool.
A prepubescent fantasy series that includes a golem teasing a princess with green hair about her emerging 'assets' as comic relief ? What's soulless about that :) ?

Star Dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Michael J. Persons' The Cosmic Warrior was fun to read. Comes with discernible Kenpo techniques while being heavy on fantasy and mysticism. If you dig a movie like The Silent Flute (aka The Circle of Iron), you should enjoy this story.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I second the Steve Perry books, the Matador series is very good!

Also,

The Dragons of Wulin by Kevin Shearer (7 books in the series) are good easy fun reads

The Ninja Daughter by Tori Eldridge isn't too bad

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I second the Steve Perry books, the Matador series is very good!

Also,

The Dragons of Wulin by Kevin Shearer (7 books in the series) are good easy fun reads

The Ninja Daughter by Tori Eldridge isn't too bad
I'm surprised I've never read or heard of the Matador series. They look like they're right in my wheelhouse, particularly back in the 80s when i couldn't get enough science fiction and fantasy. Reading the description reminded me of the Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm surprised I've never read or heard of the Matador series. They look like they're right in my wheelhouse, particularly back in the 80s when i couldn't get enough science fiction and fantasy. Reading the description reminded me of the Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison.
It starts with the "Man who never missed", but there are a couple of prequel novels
1) The Musashi Flex
2) The 9th Step

I read the Matador trilogy first, which I think I would recommend doing it that way as well. There are some other books after that which are also very good (Black Steel, Brother Death, Albino Knife).

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Reading is the balls. It just is.

Latest Discussions