FICO branches out...

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
They control more than just your entire ability to obtain credit, now they can tell your doctor or insurance company all about your medication use!

LINK You just have to see this **** to believe it. FICO claims that with no more than a name and address, they are happy to provide a comprehensive score to your insurance company, doctor or pharmaceutical company that shows how likely you are to adhere to your medication use. They claim to use "retail purchase behavior, geo-credit profiles, and income/wealth indicators" (among other data sources) to produce this number.

They also claim that this process is "HIPAA compliant", yet they also promise to provide this score based on a name and address, so that it "can be used to stratify and flag targets for intervention." In other words, your insurance company will be able to generate such scores for all policyholders, and then target low-scoring individuals for some sort of intervention. How long will it be before the decision to write a policy or pay a claim is based in part on this score? Much like the credit score, your insurance company will be able to claim you are a "bad risk", but based on no concrete health conditions like the system is now.

I know that the Constitution only constrains government and not private industry. But that becomes a fig leaf when any corporation can feel free to engage in outrageous violations of our privacy and other traditional rights at their whim. Is it somehow "better" because those violations don't come from the government?

This is outrageous. And I just learned about it from a link in a random internet discussion, not from the Post or the Times or Fox News. Where's the torches and pitchforks?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am horrified by it. But where do you go once SCOTUS rules that it is OK?

OP
Empty Hands

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am horrified by it. But where do you go once SCOTUS rules that it is OK?

A giant popular stink that forces Congress' hand. Unfortunately, I do not see the citizenry at large becoming all that concerned. This is just another small step in a long progression of similar steps, most of which pass without comment.

In related news, the SCOTUS just ruled that Vermont could not ban the practice of data-mining prescriptions by doctors and selling it to pharmaceutical companies. Remarkably, this ban was struck down on First Amendment grounds. Almost Orwellian, that. So maybe making a big stink wouldn't do a lick of good either. This thing bothers me more than the data mining though, because this FICO score is specifically tied to the individual, while data mining is (supposed) to be anonymized.