Favorite Korean Foods

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I stoped at a road side rest in Korea once that had these waffles with cream on them that where unforgetable. I don't know what they are called but they are great.

Kim Chi is great, but I can't get intimate with the wife for a week affter eating it.

I also had a greenish colored soup that had tiny ffish in it that was loaded with garlic that was pretty good. Sorry I can't remember the names of this stuff.

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oohh..Gal Bi! Gal Bi! What..noone for Kimchi? I actually like it.

We had a Korean couple in class with their kids..made us a sort of Kimchi and octopus salad.

I know,I know..sounds a bit gross..but it was good eatin.:D

What else..Bul something Gi..I think. MMmm

Kimchee is not a meal though. It's a popular condiment like cole slaw but not a meal.

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kagogi...:ultracool Just kidding. The Martial Islanders I work with are big fans. One time one of my guys brought it to a Pot Luck at another job and didn't tell them until a few weeks later. Now he works with me. LOL
Sean

I suggest everyone keep their pets away from Touch of Death. Shame on you.

%-}

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Actually, it's the "land of the morning calm." Japan is the land of the "Rising Sun."
:)

Look when I was there, you weren't thinking about the morning because it meant your overnight pass was no good anymore and you had to report for PT formation. So in my unit we changed it. Just like we renamed Camp Essayon "Camp Alcatraz", Camp Stanley was "Camp Stumbley" because after a thunder run in their Ville, most people tended to stumble around.

stephentsd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Galbi hands down! I love dipping in in that orange bean sauce stuff, wrapping it up in a leaf and eating it hmmmm!! Bulggogi is also very very very nice! Mashesoyer!

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My favorite would be kimchi (of all sorts) but I also love naeng young...bulgogi is awsome as well...in short there is not much korean food I dont like ;-)

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
While stationed in Korea a few of us got turned on to a drink called SOJU (spelling??). Anyone else familiar with soju used in food recipes?

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know of any recipe with Soju, except the recipe for getting very very drunk, very very fast.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
While stationed in Korea a few of us got turned on to a drink called SOJU (spelling??). Anyone else familiar with soju used in food recipes?

Your spelling is correct.

소주 = Soju : Distilled liquor or hard liquor

Soju is a Korean alcoholic drink similar to the Japanese sake, although I don't believe it is quite as strong as sake ("sah-kay" or "sah-key" is a Japanese liquor made from fermented rice).

맥주 = Maekju : which is Korean beer or malt liquor.

Maekju will get you drunk, but not quite as fast as Soju.

I am not familiar with specific Korean cooking recipes, but I am sure that, like most chefs do, liquor is added to many dishes.

CM D.J. Eisenhart

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Soju basically tastes like Vodka, but it is a little bit more sweet. It is distilled from Rice I believe, much like Sake. It is drank in shots....and Koreans LOVE it. I've drank with many many Koreans and they will drink Soju until you drop, because most of their tolerances are very high.

Favorite Maekju...Hite and OB. Most Korean restaurants in the US will serve these. OB actually has a plant in the US. Most useful phrase in Korea....MAEKJU CHUSEYO!! (Give me Beer!)

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know of any recipe with Soju, except the recipe for getting very very drunk, very very fast.

A little goes a long, long way. I disagree with one previous comment. I think soju is just as strong if not stronger than sake.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
KIMCHI! mass amounts- Especially with bulgogi,rice and some other vegies.

Almost brings a tear to my eye just thinking of it.

j

Latest Discussions