Favorite Elvis songs ...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With my elderly mother now living with us, we get to listen to the King often. I used to cringe everytime she put one of his albums on. Lately I've been listening more carefully to vocal stylings, category, lyrics, etcetera and find I'm continually amazed. It's no wonder why he will always be the King of Rock n' Roll.

So if you listen to any "E" what's your favorite example of royal vocal trillings and why?

Here's a couple of mine:

"Mean Woman Blues" - My husband swears this is his theme song. Good rockabilly feel to it without being saccharine and I just love the lyrics. The song was also performed as a number in "Loving You."

"Mess of Blues" - Pop Blues. There are moments in this song that I just had to stop and listen to - he sounds like he's in real pain.

"If I Can Dream" - Gospel. Not sure if this is the correct title, but he sung this in his comeback special. I've heard other artist's renditions of this classic and just can't ever appreciate theirs as much as his.

So ... if you are a subject of the King, let us know what your faves are.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Suspicous minds and Jail house rock, all time favorites.
terry

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There's only one Elvis song I can actually stand listening to. And he didn't write it. It's his rendition of "O Holy Night". Maybe it's 'cause Christmas is coming. Anything else I can really do without.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I don't particularly like Elvis; but, I do like 'Suspicious Minds'.

Me either, but I really like that song. From what I've heard, it's one of the few he actually wrote himself.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Who's this Elvis? Is he that brother layin' down the beat on Fifty's last album?

My mom had left a 45 record of Jailhouse Rock at the house when I was a kid. I listened to it over and over. She wasa huge Elvis fan, as was everyone of that generation.

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't know the name of the song but I like the theam song to "Las Vegas" show. Anyone know the name?

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hmm either suspicious minds (live version is the best!) or devil in disguise. I defy anyone to listen to either song and not sing along with them! I've just started to listen to elvis myself and my mother used to play him when i was a kid but of course when you're a kid you just don't understand..

White Belt
Reaction score
Hands down, "Trouble", followed closely by "Kentucky Rain"

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've always liked Elvis' music & all gossip, impersonators, hokey movies, etc. aside, the man was blessed with a wonderful voice that got better as he grew older--no question about that (IMO :) ). I still remember the day he died. Anyway, most of the songs I like are from the later years, although once in a while I'll be in the mood for the early stuff. Here are some of my faves:

I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
Loving You
Can't Help Falling in Love
Little Sister
How Great Thou Art (even though I'm not very religious, his performance is incredible)
If I can Dream
Memories
Suspicious Minds
In the Ghetto
Kentucky Rain
Always On My Mind
Promised Land
An American Trilogy
Moody Blue
A Little Less Conversation
Rubberneckin'
The Wonder of You

Plus, his versions of "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" "Never Been to Spain" & "I Just Can't Help Believin" are good too. I think if BJ Thomas hadn't released his version of "Just Can't Help Believin" first it would have been a #1 for Elvis. One of our local radio stations used to play "Kentucky Rain" on rainy days & it would take me back to when I was a little kid riding in the car with my mom & little brother...

Latest Discussions