matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is your favorite piece of hapkido:

Striking/Kicking
Throwing/Modified Throwing
Wrist/Clothes Technique
Cane/Knife defense

Hapkido is a varied style, it seems that everyone has a favorite aspect. Mine happens to be the wrist/clothes......I do enjoy the cane and punching kicking obviously.

My favorite is without question the wrist and clothes.

DerekHKD

White Belt
Reaction score
Me too Matt! I like wrist and clothes because it is cool to see all the ways you can manipulate the body. Plus IMO they are very practical.

Throws would be a close second place. Simply because they are fun after you get good at falling:D

rockstream

White Belt
Reaction score
In my case, I like to block punching and kicking follwed by wrist lockings or body throwings.

I like to apply and practice techniques in movement. Maybe, mainly becuase I also practice Kendo which requires incessant foot stepping and hitting.

I improve my punching and graspping power by the fast head hitting technique of Kendo with a little heavy bamboo sword.

Sungbook Bae
Ulji-Kwan HKD Master

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If I had to pick, it would be the wrist and clothes techniques with some striking and kicking, and then finish off the knife/cane weilding attacker with a throw.

I really can't single out one set of techniques from the other. I like all of it.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Throws would be a close second place. Simply because they are fun after you get good at falling:D

Ditto on that one! I love it when you get a good rhythm going while working on some throws.

Grab Whoosh Bam!
Grab Whoosh Bam!
Grab Whoosh Bam!

Good stuff! :ultracool

Hapkid0ist

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As much as I love all the aspects, I would have to say my favorite aspect of HKD is one that you do not have listed. I love the fact that it works so well in conjunction with all the other arts I have studied. I can so easily implement pretty much any other techniques from other systems I have learnt with little to no modifications, right into our way of doing and executing.

Latest Discussions