fav karate game

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
today was bring a friend to karate night at my sensei's dojo we played alot of games to try to get the kids to join I know a lot of games but would like to learn more

games i enjoy playing
sensei says
zoo - makeing them move like the Animal I say kinda like red light green light
flow the leader
karate foot tag
dragon tales

many more but these are ones i like to play and kids enjoy

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I guess karate is now a kiddie game,lol.

I think karate is many things,but a kiddie game it is not. Nothing wrong with playing kids games, but why call it karate?

Sounds like an afterschool care program to me, not karate.

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i am with you there i only normaly play 1 game per class but today we did 30 mins of front kick , front punch and high block. But then 30 mins of games to try to get them to come in and then pizza and meet and greet with the parents.

I enjoy teaching adults more because they do have wondering minds.
But i was just wondering about games because after a hard work out I like to reward the kids with a game or to.

just me though

Sanchin-J

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't necessarily see anything wrong with allowing games to be played during class as long as they are in fact beneficial to the training. Sometimes class may need a break from what in my experience can become more than "just another class of repetition and going through the motions." Granted, can't get too wild and crazy otherwise you risk losing control and focus in the class. I think I prefer a more serious approach, but a game once in awhile to loosen things up a bit seems ok to me.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't play games very often - maybe every couple of months or so - but my students do like technique relay races. Pick any kicking technique, split the class into equal groups, and students race up and down the floor.

Lorak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I go to class during "family class". Since I am there more to get my daughter to train.

One game that they sometimes play at the end of class for the kids. Is blind folded tag.

basically the students form a circle. One of the kids gets blindfolded. Another kid enters the circle and claps. The object is the for the blindfolded kid to tag the clapper (they can move all around in the circle, just can't leave it.).

Two things I have seen this "teach".
1) when the kids first started, I was surprised at how few could actualy hone in on a sound and follow it blind folded.

2) To actualy tag the person, the trick is to "spring" at the last moment to cover the last bit of distance before the clapper can move out of the way.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In our kids classes, we play 30 minutes of games and then follow that with 30 minutes of Kenpo. But, the games that we play with them are for things like balance, eye-hand coordination, focus and following instructions. They are really more about skills needed in karate than fun, but packaged as fun. Kind of a stealth teaching...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once a week we play a game, either Tae Kwon Do Baseball or crab soccer. TKD Baseball is just like regular basebase except with a nerf ball and you use your legs as a bat, mostly the backleg roundhouse, this help with eye leg coordination. Crab soccer you our on your back walkimg on hands and fwwt and trying to kick the nerf bal with the front foot. this helps the coordinationas well plus builds up leg and arm strentgh.

I really do not see nothing wrong with this doing this once in a while to keep those kids interested in the arts. Brian why are you so against childern in the arts, may I ask what age you started?

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For kids class, I like to spend the last 5 or 10 minutes playing some kind of skill-related game (like the technique relay races) or something fun like flying side kicks on the stand up bag.

It's a reward the kids look forward to and they're still learning something but in a less structured way than the rest of the class format. And if they've been atrocious little monsters, I'll skip the game and boy do they notice. Makes a good "teaching"moment.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the games that they do where I train is a form of dodge ball. Two or three Instructors surround the kids, and roll a exercise ball (you know, the big ones you use for sit-ups or whatever) through the knot of kids. If it hits you, you're out. The kids learn to avoid and move away from the threat, as well as anticipating it, since the ball isn't moving very fast.

Another one that is popular is "belt sparring." The kids start with two short, stiff pieces of cardboard or belt material stuffed into their belts, one on each side. The object is to remove both of your opponents "belts" before they get yours. It's great for teaching distance and blocking, and the kids don't get so aggressive that they hurt each other. Of course, it doesn't do much for kicks!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have played dodgeball combat basketball and combat frisbee football in the gym a few times. It's fun and helps teach balance, awareness of multiple opponents and friendlies, closing distance and turns into a good cardio workout. There is nothing wrong with using games to enhance skills. It's good to switch things up once and a while.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My opinion:

For older children, teens, and adults, no games, unless you count preparation for USA-NKF sparring as a game.

For younger children who are about 4-5 years old? No harm in making some of their training a game, since they aren't going to learn in the same manner as your older students will. This can especially work if you have a class specifically dedicated to teaching these young children.

It's not surprising to know, that young children can get bored by the repetition that the full fledged training demands. If these games help the children learn the motor skills and patience needed for the more advanced training, then why not let them?

By the time they outgrow the kiddies' class, then they'll actually be better prepared to enter the full fledged classes.

jlhummel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My opinion:

For older children, teens, and adults, no games, unless you count preparation for USA-NKF sparring as a game.

For younger children who are about 4-5 years old? No harm in making some of their training a game, since they aren't going to learn in the same manner as your older students will. This can especially work if you have a class specifically dedicated to teaching these young children.

It's not surprising to know, that young children can get bored by the repetition that the full fledged training demands. If these games help the children learn the motor skills and patience needed for the more advanced training, then why not let them?

By the time they outgrow the kiddies' class, then they'll actually be better prepared to enter the full fledged classes.

In my youngest sons class (5 to 7 years) they do obstiacle courses that can involve jumping, front rolls, back falls, kicks and then at the end of the course punching and kicking combinations with blocking techniques the kids love it and they are learning new skills and techniques. why not do this? its the results that matter. When they reach the older class (8 thru 16) they are much better prepared than a new student that did not do theses things. They still bow in and show respect for the art and the teacher and they have fun as well.

John

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We play "Crane Battles" : 2 students face each other in "flamingo" stance (one knee up, standing on one foot). The object is to make the other student lose their balance and place anything but that one foot on the floor. They may not strike with hands or feet but any type of pushing pulling grabbing twisting etc is allowed. I usually run them in order from smallest to largest, winner stays in until they lose...

-D

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't necessarily see anything wrong with allowing games to be played during class as long as they are in fact beneficial to the training. Sometimes class may need a break from what in my experience can become more than "just another class of repetition and going through the motions." Granted, can't get too wild and crazy otherwise you risk losing control and focus in the class. I think I prefer a more serious approach, but a game once in awhile to loosen things up a bit seems ok to me.

I agree, and I'm thinking of children's classes here. When my son was training TKD, the next class after testings would be game night. The kids loved it and all the games developed some skill, such as balance, etc. One of the games my son loved was "chicken foot" or something like that. Two kids were paired and had to keep their hands on their hips and stand on one leg. Then they would hop and bump into each other trying to get the other one to put their foot down, if they did, or if they fell, they "lost" the round.

This one is difficult to explain but, another game involved having two people facing each other at a distance where a TKD belt was placed between them with the end of the belt wrapped behind their back and held by one hand. Tension was then held on the belt. The participants would then either loosen the tension or tug on the belt trying to get the other one to lose their balance. For instance, if your opponent is tugging, and you loosen your tension, you can get them to fall back, and vice versa. The feet need to remain planted in place.

They had a Christmas party for students and their families one year and encouraged parents to play this game against adult students to the delight of the younger students. It was a fairly large party and I was content to sit and watch, however, I was goaded into participation. Little did anyone know, I had been training SPM which has a high focus on rooting. Now, I hadn't been training all that long, but I knew my stance and planted myself. I would have lost horribly against anyone else in my class, but here, I won every round. :D heh heh This game is really fun to watch others play.