Fat-fingers problem.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When making a post in my usual two-fingered way, I sometimes find that I close the window accidentally and am returned to the thread. My partial post is lost.

This seems to happen when I accidentally hit a CTRL or SHFT or CTRL+SHFT sequence of some sort on the left hand side of the board, but I can't tell just what it is as it's an accident! Is there a CTRL-W or something that closes the window, that I'm accidentally activating?

(In the meantime, please give generously to research to help find a cure for fat-fingeredness!)

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... as a matter of fact does close a browser window. I found that out before I found a pop-up stopper. I control shift +W as fast as those little windows popped up.

P

pknox

The fat fingers reference reminds me of an old SNL skit where they parodied pharmaceutical commercials. In the voiceover they said, "Side effects may include death, incontinence, and the condition known as 'hot dog fingers'."

I've always typed with two fingers, and can type up to 60 words a minute if I have to (I also look at the keyboard). I took a typing class in college -- when I was forced to use the proper hand positioning and not look, I could get up to 12 whopping words a minute. When I asked my teacher what to do, she said, "use two fingers." :)

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan
learn to type

My mother told me I wouldn't need to learn to type--only girls needed that so they could be secretaries.

Bad advice, as it turns out, but I suppose Mom couldn't have been expected to predict the computer revolution. I continue to await the Butlerian Jihad!

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One thing you could do is get online, and open a Word document window. When you want to post something, just type it in word, select all, copy, and past your new post. If you lose the post, you still have it backed up on the word document.

I do this when I am writing really lengthy posts, and I don't want to risk accidentally deleting it. I don't do it for most posts though.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I sometimes do the same with Notepad. I just always keep a garbage Notepad .txt document on my desktop for such uses.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
My mother told me I wouldn't need to learn to type--only girls needed that so they could be secretaries.

I took typing I my freshman year just to fill the extra one credit I was missing. Man was that the best decision mom told me to do.:D

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just had a thought..... maybe Arni could enroll in a collage class...get some extra credit or something...work on that degree....

:rofl:

(Sorry pal...couldn't resist....)

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will be seeing to it that my kids learn to type!

Experimenting, neither CTRL-W nor CTRL-SHFT-W gives me the behaviour I've been seeing. The window doesn't close when I have my problem, it goes back to the thread, from the posting window.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try yer ALT keys or WinBlows keys or some combo therein.

I hate these 'extended' keyboards....

P

pknox

For me (Win 98, IE 6.0), Ctrl-W not only closes the window with the reply box, but also the session that contains the MT thread (could be the whole IE section in fact). To test it, I did this:

1. Opened up Outlook Express.
2. Clicked on the link to this thread.
3. Clicked the reply button (I now have 3 windows open -- the main thread, the reply window, and Outlook Express)
4. Hit Ctrl-W

Both the reply window and the window containing the thread have terminated. I am returned to Outlook Express.

I also know that Alt-F4 closes the window that has focus in most programs, but you probably didn't do that, as those keys are far enough apart that it is a hard keystroke to perform by accident.

Alt-Q could also be a suspect, as that it is often the keyboard shortcut for "Quit." I tried Ctrl-Q but it did nothing.

JD_Nelson

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have at times had the backspace button when using IE take me back to a previous page.

I cannot remember where the focus was set, but it was rather annoying at the moment.

JD

Latest Discussions