Fast Wing Chun (VID)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Looks like some kempo moves too. Hit hard,hit fast. It will always be the person and not the style. ...Aloha

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shu2jack said:
Maybe it is just me, but the video looks...enhanced.
It's you... A student trained properly and one who practiced a-lot... it's possible for a guy to move that fast.
Bruce Lee was renowned for his speed as well as his skill.
If the vid was enhanced then you'd see jerky fast movements from everything in the vid... including the "dummy" standing there.
Neat vid. Wonder who that instructor was?

S

sasquatchnaruto

i only wish i could move that fast but my size tells me no lol

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shu2jack said:
Maybe it is just me, but the video looks...enhanced.

MACaver is right. The guy is fast. If you know what you're looking at then it's easier to follow. But I don't think the video is enhanced. I've seen people move that fast and faster in person.

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The guy in the video is Tommy Carruthers from Scottland. He is REALLY that fast....period

He was asked to go into professional boxing but declined because it was too much of a sport for him.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bays

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
Ok here is a question for ya, who wins? Speed vs. Brute strength

http://sidetraked.com/index.php?cmd=media&id=86

VS.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~hp1/ruhl.htm

I'm going to take a stab at answering this question seriously. In my experience guys strong in the manner shown in the video are big trouble if they get a hold on you.

Points against:

1. Big guys have an endurance issue. That muscle uses a lot of energy and so they get tired quickly if their workout consists only of weights and little or no cardio.

2. Bodybuilder types also have a certain flexibility issue and so they have a smaller range in which they can effectively get a hold on you. Due to their abundant musculature, they have reduced range of motion.

3. Guys that strong are often overconfident in their strength and how it can be applied to fighting. As a result they posture alot and make general tactical mistakes like butting chests, putting their face in your face, or taking their shirt off and flexing pecks while leading with the chin. They train to lift and not usually to hit with speed or power.

Points For:

1. Muscle pack makes good armor. Strikes to the large muscle areas will do less damage to them than they would to your skinny types.

2. Joint locks are tough to get on them because they simply can curl out of a lot of them and because they are big, it's hard to get a grip.

3. They are stronger. All else being equal, size matters.

My opinion:

Obviously, the best practice would be to go for having strength and speed. I don't think you'll get as big, but you can get as strong. But if it's a choice between which one to be, I'd have to choose being speedy. The big guy has to get a hold of you, although stronger, he's also slower, needs to use more energy, and has limited range. If you are fast you can deprive the other guy of sight or breathing ability pretty quick. Also, no matter how strong your leg muscles are, the knee can be blown out easily with a quick kick.