Fast draw competition with simulated ammo...against another person...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting idea...

http://bearingarms.com/simunition-gun-fighting-is-coming-to-a-bar-near-you/

If a former bounty hunter gets his way, gun-fighting with Simunitions (a kind of non-lethal man-marker round generally used in force-on-force training) will become the next big thing:
Later this month, two guys plan to walk into a North Las Vegas bar and shoot each other.
The combatants will be wearing ballistics-grade head and body armor, carrying dinner plate-sized forearm shields and modified police-issue 9 mm Glocks.
They will be standing at opposite ends of a 30-by-8-foot steel cage — fully enclosed, UFC-style — in the middle of what used to be a couple of stage-side tabletops at Whiskey Dick’s, 2750 E. Craig Road.
That’s where a new sport, known to its North Las Vegas-based creators as tactical fast draw, is set to make its Jan. 31 debut.
“You’ll get two points for a head shot and one point for anything to the (body) vest,” fast draw inventor and former bounty hunter Nephi Oliva said. “You can score a maximum of 12 points, but there’s no time limit, so it’s almost like a boxing match with bullets.”

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not at all thrilled about the misuse of the term "Simunitions"

http://www.lawofficer.com/article/training/reality-based-training-simunit

SIMUNITION is a company, not a type of cartridge. Using the terms "simmunition," "simmunitions" or simply just "sims" when referring to marking cartridges is dangerous. This might sound like just an exercise in semantics, but using SIMUNITION as a generic term for marking cartridges might someday lead to somebody getting killed. SIMUNITION manufactures a number of different types of training ammunition, the majority of which are lethal if fired at human targets in training.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
if you are letting some one point a real weapon at you with real ammo in it, I would consider it a questionable situation to say the least.....I am not at all convinced you are not engaging in a situation that could turn lethal very easily.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If they are using actual Simunition marker rounds, they aren't "real ammo" and they aren't running out of standard guns, the upper has been modified and I believe it requires a custom mag.

I have done training with simunition marker training, managed to get peppered during an active shooter scenario, and it wasn't that bad through a thick shirt. Smarts a bit if the adrenaline isn't going, but with the safety procedures we had in place, it was very very safe.

And the rules of this are stupid, if they want it to be more interesting they should get rid of most of the armor, keep the head/face/neck protection and they should be good to go.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that I like the idea of this...

Isn't that what Laser Tag is for?

Latest Discussions