Far East

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Are there any EPAK studios/clubs in Hong Kong, or Taiwan? How about the nation of Japan? I know Mr.Parker Sr. did a whole lotta travelin back in the day. Was he ever able to train someone in the aforementioned countries? I would like to see how EPAK was interpreted in the homes of the more "traditional" systems.

Salute in Christ,
Donald :samurai:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If there is a American Kenpo school in Japan, I'll bet it's wrinkling quite a few feathers of the old timers there. Any idea how widely accepted it is?

:asian:

OP
D

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93

If there is a American Kenpo school in Japan, I'll bet it's wrinkling quite a few feathers of the old timers there. Any idea how widely accepted it is?

G7,
Does Mr.Kelly's student run a dojo/club ? To repeat the above quote, is the system accepted as "legit" ? Now the biggest question of all!!! If in fact this person is instructing others in the American Kenpo tradition? Is the material taught as "EPAK", and if so, is the material considered an North American martial art ?

Salute in Christ,
Donald:asian:

OP
D

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow G7 that was a fast response! I would be very interested in hearing how well the system is accepted over there? Any chance of input from Mr.Kelly, or his student , on this subject ? I just read a article somewhere, (net,print?) but can't recall where about this very subject. I believe someone was given the opportunity to do a demo at a big JKA type function, and it (kenpo demo) was reportedly very well received... Have you heard anything like this?

Salute in Christ,

OP
D

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sir,
I was able as far as I can tell to successfully e-mail Mr.Tate. However I was'nt able to send one to Mr.Kelly. The screen said the address was not recognized! I just felt like I should clue him in. Since Mr.Tate is his student, and in case he was contacted by Mr.Tate. Regarding my message to him. I will keep everyone posted as to Mr.Tate's reply.

Salute in Christ,

OP
D

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
G7,
Sir, I received a message from Mr.Tate regarding my questions about EPAK studios/people practicing in the Far East. He said he practiced for 4 years in OKINAWA!!! While there everything was copastetic for the most part. Some of the "Old Guard" did give him a little rough time, but nothing truly disrespectful of him, or the system. As a matter of fact he said they (his students) owned the tourneys they attended. He said he went back to Japan in "91", and things are preety cool... I asked him if he would drop us a line at martialtalk.com, I hope he does. I just find it very interesting that a practioner of an American m.a. could practice the art in the land of the "original" karate. I am very interested to hear how the system is perceived by the nationals. I would like to get a picture of what a "traditional" stylist thinks of our katas. As compared to some of their advanced ones. Have you ever done anything like that?
Salute in Christ,
Donald

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And the response was mixed....... some are tied to their traditional forms. However, the flip side of the coin was that they were mesmerized at the logic and usefulness that we had incorporated, almost dumfounded.

Latest Discussions