Famous TKDist who crossed over

Jake

White Belt
Reaction score
I was just making a fun list of guys who started out as TKDist who found success in other fight games. I can think of Troy Dorsey who became boxing and kickboxing world champion, top boxer from the 90's Skipper Kelp lists TKD as his hobby on his old boxing card. I am sure a lot of old full contact PKA legends had their roots in TKD, hope you can add to the list:
Troy Dorsey
Skipper Kelp

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Randall "tex" Cobb

TKD black belt from the Allen Steen line, fought Holmes for the heavy weight boxing title

OP
J

Jake

White Belt
Reaction score
I didn't know Tex Cobb was a TKD bb. He had one of the best chins in heavyweight history. When he boxed against Earnie Shavers, it was the hardest puncher ever, against maybe the best chin ever. Tex only had like 16 bouts at the time, he took bomb after bomb and finally stopped Shavers I think in the eight round.

OP
J

Jake

White Belt
Reaction score
I think I also read that Jerry 'The Goldenboy' Trimble, PKA great, also had TKD roots.
Troy Dorsey
Skipper Kelp
Tex Cobb
Jerry 'Goldenboy' Tremble
Tony Robbins

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Current IKF & WAKO pro champ Tommy Bach out of Chicago is a TKD guy. Bil "Superfoot" Wallace has a TKD background as well.

joblo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Randall "tex" Cobb

TKD black belt from the Allen Steen line, fought Holmes for the heavy weight boxing title

I grew up around Randall Cobb and he never did TKD. I was around him all the way through his college years and never knew of him doing TKD. He was just a very tough guy.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Didnt Kimo, the UFC guy do TKD!

Also, apparently Chuck Norris was awarded an honourary 8th degree by Gen Choi, even though he didnt actually do TKD!

Mark Weir (MMA fighter) is an ex-TKD guy!

Stuart

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Kimo being listed as a TKD guy was either a mistake or due to the need to put down a recognised style for the early UFC's.

Another early UFC guy who was a TKD man was Patrick Smith, a pretty tough kickboxer.

OP
J

Jake

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Joblo, what is Tex Cobb up to now? I have not heard anything of him in years? He boxed much nicer than he was given credit for.

Latest Discussions