Family Heritage

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting and poignant question. Thank-you for asking.

Unfortunately for me, much of the public records in the Netherlands were lost in WW II, and my Swedish side is probably partly Saami, we're from that far north, so going back further than say my great-grandparents would be problematic. I really should find a proper geneologist and pay them to do the leg work and see what a pro could come up with.

That being said, I am very proud of my heritage, both my Scandinavian and Frankish/German sides. In Asatru, reverence for one's ancestors is very important, in addition to the more well-known aspects of reverence for the Aesir and Vanir. I think that's why I (and many other Heathens) get such a kick out of this quote from the 13th Warrior:

Lo, there do I see my father.
Lo, there do I see my mother.
Lo, there do I see my sisters
and my brothers.
I see the line of my people
back to the beginning.
They do call to me to take my place
in the halls of Valhalla
where the brave may live forever

:)

Best regards,

-Mark

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just wandering everyone, how important is your family heritage to you? I believe that there is somewhat of a "Genetic code" if you will. I have dated my Scottish heritage back to 1210 in the high and lowlands of scotland. I have found that either the men were carpenters, masons, military, fighters, farmers, and educators. Mostly Martial Artists, Military, and farmers.

Anyway, I am just checking a consensus. I own everything of the Highlander Movies, T.V. series and "The Raven" as well as "The Search For Vengeance." I own both family coat of arms replicas, a basket sword, a claymore and both family tartans.

All of you guys that are the old timers of the board know me as having one thing, "Strong Conviction." Well, I am a firm believer that if you know what you come from then it better explains who you are.

Just my .02

i love my family heritage and the history that goes along with it. my mom is big on ancestry.com right now and shes been finding really cool ancestors. like she's gone back to like the Viking age whereas we're apparently related to a Chief Woden of Norway before they had kings and queens :viking3: and most recently and more directly connected there was a Lord Montgomery who was given a castle by William the Conquerer called the Owestrey Castle in Ireland that we're related to, the lord, i mean. there's other people, like Attila the Hun, that we find we're related to but who's to say that that's legitimate. it would be awesome if i really was though! :boing1:

Latest Discussions