Highlander

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi all, due to a recent death in the family as well as family history I have become obsessed with geneology. Anyway, with my last name being Morton, that is pure Scottish, my ancestors were highlanders, architectects, masonery and carpenters. However, I wanted everyones thought on the movies and tv shows "Highlander" albeit they are fairy tales they are more history fiction than anything. There is more truth in the movies than anything.

I have found that the highlanders did indeed travel to the Japan's, more or less in the functionality of the U.S. Marines now, protectors of vessels etc. Anyway they learned to use the Katana and adapted it to broad sword fighting. etc. etc.

BTW: My grandfather Morton married a McDowell whose maiden name is Shaner. So, needless to say I do have all the movies, 6 seasons of the show, "The Raven" which is a spin-off of the show that used Amanda, and "The source". Along with lastly the Anime version that is just recently out.

Of course other than the Highlander stuff, my favorite movies are "The Quiet Man, Far and Away, Rob Roy and Braveheart."

I feel that it is important to know where you came from so you understand more of yourself.

I sat for hours with dad and spoke of our family history due to a death in the family recently.

I have been learning broadsword while using katana for the last few months and I love it.

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can't even begin to tell you how great it is that you're looking into your roots, too many people have either forgotten where they came from or couldn't care less.

Good for you friend, and all the best of luck to you!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't even begin to tell you how great it is that you're looking into your roots, too many people have either forgotten where they came from or couldn't care less.​

Good for you friend, and all the best of luck to you!​

I agree it is nice to see this.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you are really getting into finding out more of your Scottish roots. Same here, with a last name of Gordon, it was a natural to look into the history of the Scotish roots. From the digging came my ID for online forums, "bydand" is the old family motto.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah it is great, I have found out the my family were the chief architects and masons of the Presbyterian University in the Highlands. Also, the highlanders of my Clan used the Katana, they traveled to the Japans between the 12 and 1500's. The Claymore and Basket swords were used as the weapons of choice by the lowlanders, (The McDowell side.)

The Katana used by the highlanders were 34 inch from the hilt not 28, this is what gave them the advantage over the English/British.

With the Shaners, Donnelly's, Connelly's, and O'Connell's I have been doing the same sort of thing.

Dad told me that we have always had a huge supply of Bricklayers, Carpenters, Martial Artists and Marines because that is what we are.

Family heritage is so important to me.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah it is great, I have found out the my family were the chief architects and masons of the Presbyterian University in the Highlands. Also, the highlanders of my Clan used the Katana, they traveled to the Japans between the 12 and 1500's. The Claymore and Basket swords were used as the weapons of choice by the lowlanders, (The McDowell side.)

The Katana used by the highlanders were 34 inch from the hilt not 28, this is what gave them the advantage over the English/British.

Hi Matt,

I think it is very cool you are researching your roots, that said, I view any mention of "katana" and "highlander" in the same sentance as being somewhat cringe worthy, particularly if it winds up being "Highlanders wielding katanas." :D What kind of evidence do you have for such claims? Portraits? Stories? Existing swords? How did you get the measurement of 34 inches?

Thanks,

Lamont

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Matt,

I think it is very cool you are researching your roots, that said, I view any mention of "katana" and "highlander" in the same sentance as being somewhat cringe worthy, particularly if it winds up being "Highlanders wielding katanas." :D What kind of evidence do you have for such claims? Portraits? Stories? Existing swords? How did you get the measurement of 34 inches?

Thanks,

Lamont

Well, for one....stories handed down and the fact that there are a few in existence in the presbyterian university in scotland. I have seen them with my own eyes.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, for one....stories handed down and the fact that there are a few in existence in the presbyterian university in scotland. I have seen them with my own eyes.

I think it is great that you are doing some genealogical work on your family heritage. I have done the same with my family, dating back to 1635 here in the U.S. However, there are a few old story passed on by my father and his late aunt (as well as other relatives) that is not substantiated by the documented evidence found throughout the historical record of the colonies. In my case, I had to follow the evidence at hand, so as much as I would like to believe them, I can't put much stock in it.

Although, it is important to preserve the stories, because if there is no evidence to deny it, it certainly makes great conversation during family gatherings. :) The family genealogist often becomes the family storyteller. ;)

Keep up the good work. My family is from Wales (pre-1635).

Latest Discussions