Families of Martial Artists

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of us are part of a family of taekwondo'ers. My wife and one of our daughters are students. At our school there are several families besides us.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well it is me the head instructor and then my wife and then my three boys, I have been in it for 45+ years the wife is going on 15 and my oldest son has twelve in it. So we are here to stay

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
My self and my son are both 1st dan, my younger daughter in a red belt. My wife has been on hiatus but has her brown belt and has been talking about returning to training as well.

Peace,
Erik

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, both my boys and I were TKD at one time. Currently we are in Shorei but I still keep my TKD connections (hey you can't just toss 'em out after 20+ years in the art). :)

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Out of a family of 5, 3 of us are regulars (me, my son and one of my daughters), my other daughter blows hot and cold on it and my wife doesn't do it at all.

There are a couple of other families at our dojang where most or all of the family does it.

Tae Kwon Do practitioners do it in doboks :)

OP
Mimir

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Back when I started there was only one other parent - children group besides my daughter and me. We had a couple other that were siblings. The trend seems to be more and more parents are starting with the kids. I know for me, I really like having the shared experience and connection.

DojangMom

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My son started practicing first, then I joined him. My husband is not interested in martial arts whatsoever. Our youngest son isn't showing any interest either ... yet. ;)

Most of the time, adult and child classes are held separately. There's one "family" class on Saturday mornings for parents and children to practice together. I've never tried it, though. Can't seem to get the kids in gear early enough on a Saturday! There are quite a few Dads in our class. There's one other Mom that I know of. Most of the parents are very active and enthusiastic "sideline coaches", and have no interest in taking it any further. :D

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't have anywhere near the amount of time in TKD that some have, but my wife and I and all 4 of our children are in TKD. Only the dog misses out, though he is really more of a swimmer anyway ;)

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My wife as a green belt along time ago, but I'm the neanderthal of the family. I'm also the only 'gunfighter';-)

Deaf

faerie2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My daughter and I are both in Taekwondo. She's 3 and in the 'tots' class and has just earned her yellow belt! Yes, she can do her poomse 1 - darned if she can sit still for more than 3 minutes and just about pantsed the instructor a few times - so she has a lot to learn in the respect department, but she loves it almost as much as I do. I'm purple belt.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know one thing for sure, my wife is sleeping with her instructor.

Wait, that's me:ultracool

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Several of our Master Instructors have wives and children who are junior black belts or higher. One of our 5th Dans just had his son test 4th Dan. He's 25 years old, so it's not like he's 17 or anything like that.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Myself (age 39)
Daniel (son, 15)
Jessica (daughter, 14)
Karina (daughter, 11)
Stephen(son,9)

Andrew (son, 5) and Thomas (son, 3) waiting in the wings...

bondad

White Belt
Reaction score
Me, my two sons and my daughter all train together two days a week. I usually train four days a week but the kids are all in soccer so they don't have as many free evenings. My wife is the only holdout with little hope since we've all been in for four years.

In my school, almost everyone has a mom, dad or both training in TKD. It's mostly moms but there are a few dads and a few of both mom and dad.