Fajin - wing chun vs taiji vs others

callMeHawkEye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I am coming from a taiji background. How does taiji and wing chun fajing differ and compare? Both are quite substantial. Other high level martial arts systems from xing yi to systema also have their own fajin

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
When you say fajin, are you referring to the framework or the power issuing? It's a bit of an overloaded term.

Yip Family WC has several, usually family specific, versions of power issuing: Dynamic tension, bursting, and Nim Lik/soft energy. I think LT has his own variation he calls springy energy, but I'll let the people on here more experienced with that line add their 2c.

Hung Fa Yi uses a 13-joint framework to do what we term "on/off" energy. Neither soft nor hard, it's a way of issuing that is only there momentarily and balances what the opponent gives us. It's pretty unique.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How does taiji and wing chun fajing differ and compare?
1st - Not all MA systems have both power generation and speed generation. For example, the long fist system has neither power generation nor speed generation.

2nd - If a system is strong in speed generation, it's usually weak in power generation, and also the other way around. For example, the Chen Taiji, Baji, XingYi, ... have strong power generation but weak in speed generation. The preying mantis, Zimen, WC, ... have strong speed generation but weak in power generation..

IMO, the speed generation is the strong part of the WC system, but the power generation is not.

If you try to throw

- 6 punches in 1 second, there is no way that you can put 100% power in all punches.
- 1 punch in 2 seconds, you can put 100% power in that punch.

Both machine gun and grenade have value in battle field.

The following clips show power generation. Please notice that it all takes about 2 seconds to generation each punch. In fighting, you may not have that 2 seconds. Also in all 3 clips, their bodies have "compress to the maximum" and "release to the maximum".

Chen Taiji Fajin.

Baji Fajin:

XYLH Fajin:

Last edited:
OP
C

callMeHawkEye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
.... I think you kinda missed the entire point of what is being shown. During a fight you don't really see forms being done in such a wide angle nor people standing there prepping for each strike like they do during a board break demo.
Things become a lot more compressed definitely during actual application and fight. In taiji at least the fajing doesn't take 2 second to hit- the master already is piercing your center at the moment of contact.

OP
C

callMeHawkEye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When you say fajin, are you referring to the framework or the power issuing? It's a bit of an overloaded term.

Yip Family WC has several, usually family specific, versions of power issuing: Dynamic tension, bursting, and Nim Lik/soft energy. I think LT has his own variation he calls springy energy, but I'll let the people on here more experienced with that line add their 2c.

Hung Fa Yi uses a 13-joint framework to do what we term "on/off" energy. Neither soft nor hard, it's a way of issuing that is only there momentarily and balances what the opponent gives us. It's pretty unique.
Eric. Fajin refer to instantaneous power issuing.

Latest Discussions