Extreme martial arts: Your thoughts?

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
I came across yet another XMA video on YouTube:

I have to admire these students' athletic and gymnastic ability; no way I can do any of those tricks. But the operative word here is "tricks". XMA can be fun to watch, but I think that too many people - especially the younger crowd - mistake XMA as "the real deal". And being the "snobby" traditionalist I am (haha), a part of me thinks that this kind of stuff needs to be marketed strictly as *entertainment*.

What do the rest of you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
icon13.gif

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, snobby traditionalism aside ;) :p...you have a point. But ya can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink if you get my drift.

People will call it what ever they want and nothing can really be done about it. People will also believe what ever they want and ya can't do anything about that either.

The athleticism is amazing...I just kept waiting for the Martial Arts to start...did I blink and miss it? :idunno:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not one of the more impressive demos out there, but there where some good guys in there.

I've know a few folks that where into this, they never once claimed it had anything to do with fighting. On the other hand I have seen a lot of stuff that was just as unrealistic passed off as "good, traditional martial arts / self-defence"

Never understood why so many people take such offence to this type of training, it's fun, requires a lot of athleticism and flexibility, what is wrong? Or is it that they use the sacred term "Martial Arts"?

One more thing: Why is this not ok, but when Jet Li makes a movie it can be called a "Martial Arts Movie"?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Not one of the more impressive demos out there, but there where some good guys in there.

I've know a few folks that where into this, they never once claimed it had anything to do with fighting. On the other hand I have seen a lot of stuff that was just as unrealistic passed off as "good, traditional martial arts / self-defence"

Never understood why so many people take such offence to this type of training, it's fun, requires a lot of athleticism and flexibility, what is wrong? Or is it that they use the sacred term "Martial Arts"?

I'm with you - to a degree. According to Chuck Norris (a backer of this style of exhibition and competition) it keeps young people occupied on productive endeavors and off the streets and off of drugs. I agree with Chuck - provided these kids don't end up thinking they are studying "self-defence".

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:

One more thing: Why is this not ok, but when Jet Li makes a movie it can be called a "Martial Arts Movie"?

This is a great point that bothers me too. As long as they're not selling it as the "real deal" why can't some people just sit back and enjoy it?

Now if they are trying to pass it off as something other than it is, then we have an issue, but even then I don't see it as bad as others do - nobody really believes the WWE is actual wrestling, do you really think people believe XMA is combat?

Have a little faith ;)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I'm with you - to a degree. According to Chuck Norris (a backer of this style of exhibition and competition) it keeps young people occupied on productive endeavors and off the streets and off of drugs. I agree with Chuck - provided these kids don't end up thinking they are studying "self-defence".

My Experience with people doing this sort of thing is they are very honest with themselves about what they are doing and why. They don't think they are fighters, many don't even point fight. In fact they are often MORE honest with themselves about what they are doing then a lot of traditional stylists.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
My Experience with people doing this sort of thing is they are very honest with themselves about what they are doing and why. They don't think they are fighters, many don't even point fight. In fact they are often MORE honest with themselves about what they are doing then a lot of traditional stylists.

Agreed. A coworker who studies at the same school I used to years ago which has turned towars XMA, admits freely that it is a "performance" and that the kickboxing classes (contact, BB and above) are far more realistic than even the non-XMA regular training in sport TKD given. I know some forums have really, really ripped into XMA, and I've even been guilty of some harsh thoughts myself, but I don't see what the problem is. Let's leave these kids alone and let them train.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Agreed. A coworker who studies at the same school I used to years ago which has turned towars XMA, admits freely that it is a "performance" and that the kickboxing classes (contact, BB and above) are far more realistic than even the non-XMA regular training in sport TKD given. I know some forums have really, really ripped into XMA, and I've even been guilty of some harsh thoughts myself, but I don't see what the problem is. Let's leave these kids alone and let them train.

I agree with you Jonathan. Better they be flipping and exercising then in front of a TV playing video games or doing god knows what else because they have nothing good to focus on.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
When flashy XMA forms uses traditional weapons like Bo or Nunchakus and are presented as "what martial arts are all about" it is just not right.

Other than that, I have nothing against them.

w.kaer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
well, snobby traditionalism aside ;) :p...you have a point. But ya can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink if you get my drift.

We can't, but guess who can...Chuck Norris! :rolleyes:

Elayna

Green Belt
Reaction score
I personally dont approve of XMA.

I think it goes 100 percent against what Kano, O-Sensei and many others had in mind and said to do when involving their arts.
So I dont think XMA is very respectful in that term.

Very hard to do maybe. Very fun to watch, definatly.
Just not my cup of tea.

:) :) TTYL all

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm no expert on the art, but I believe some of what they were doing was Capoiera. At least it looked a bit like it.

As far as what they are being strictly self defense, if all they are learning is how to leap around, then I agree. However, like in demos, you show things that are flashy and visually exciting to draw attention. In a demo you might break boards, maybe some flashy kicks etc... If these guys are serious about self-defence, I'm sure they do other things too (maybe not in the context of XMA though).

If they don't care about self-defence, and its a good way to stay fit, learn something new and stay off the street, then whats the problem? It is somewhat like the arguement about those old Kung Fu movies. Of course people don't fly in the air and continue fighting after being stabbed 50 times, but it sure got alot of people interested in martial arts. Same might apply here...
showthread.php?t=37583

w.kaer

Green Belt
Reaction score
It looks like breakdancing, skateboard tricks, and tumbling. For the most part, a bunch of kids horsing around outside of a structured class environment. No harm I suppose. At least they are not out breaking into cars.:asian:

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
w.kaer said:
We can't, but guess who can...Chuck Norris! :rolleyes:

And we all know what happens to those who oppose Chuck Norris....Bobbleheadism...

You know, I've seen some of the XMA stuff on a Discovery Channel special. If any of the guys with traditional training in XMA were to crack you a good one, I have no doubt that it'd leave a mark. However.....after seeing some of the sparring.....all I can say is....perhaps it's best not to spar in XMA and keep it as a performance art because performance is its greatest strength. The gymnastics is truly amazing. The weapons work, well, if I were doing all of that flashy stuff without real knowledge of what a real weapon does against a target, I'd be jumping up and down celebrating that I didn't kill myself, or someone else, once my performance was done.

All that being said, what it takes to do all that flashy stuff can still help to develop someone in a positive way so long as they have a good coach/instructor. Silver linings in everything and all that...... :)

Latest Discussions