Extinct Kwans?

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Are there any of the original Kwans that are all but extinct in terms of maintaining identifiable schools?

Here is my perspective on the concept of a "Kwan." We tend to define the term as a "School," however we know that the term "Dojang" means an individual school. Forgetting about the "Taekwondo Kwans" for a moment, let's consider the meaning of the term.

"Kwan" ( 관 ) has a multiple meaning when used in our particular context. It can refer to an orignal idea or concept as well as the person who created this idea. It also refers, more appropriately for our use, to a "relationship," or "connection to" something or someone. It is more like a "school of thought," a "unique philosophy," or "method" of doing somthing that others follow. Like those that agree with Sigmund Freud, and follow the "Freudian" school of psychology, as opposed to those who disagree with Freud, and teach the "Humanist" school of psychology.

In the context of a Taekwondo Kwan, we are speaking of a distinctly unique approach to learning, and applying Martial Art training, philosophy, and self defense. It is not just based in the techniques performed, or the forms (kata, hyung, poomsae) practiced, but more in the differences of priority, and preferences of the applied science, and the methods of conducting one's life.

I believe it should be understood that any original Kwan, whether 5 years old, 50 years old, 500 years old, or even 5,000 years old is the product of an advanced master instructor, who has a direct relationship with several younger instructors, and guides them in each of their own schools. This makes up a Kwan - a group of Dojang under the guidance or control of one leader - the "Kwanjang" ( 관장 ), or "Kwanjangnim."

Each student instructor of the Kwanjangnim is a the master of their own school, or head of a Dojang, and are called "Sabeom" (사범 - often written as sabom, or sabum). As these masters pass on the knowledge, they add their own personal experience, and often update what is discovered as improvements, even long after the original Kwanjangnim is dead. The students of those instructors are descendants of the "Kwan" because of their "relationship" and lineage, not so much what they teach. Regardless of what system of forms are used, or the change in preference of techniques, the term "kwan" is still appropriate as they are the students of the students of the Kwanjangnim for generations to come.

We can nit-pick the fact that some things are not taught exactly the same, but I believe that most of the original concepts, and methods are still there, but perhaps added to, and expanded upon. As time goes on, all of the Kwans learn modern knowledge, and modify their teaching much as the original Kwanjangnim might have if they were still alive. In my opinion, change is not the end of a Kwan, but the natural progression of learning. The original Kwanjangnims didn't know everything, and we must not stagnate because of history. We are still the Kwan from which we descended.

After years of ATA instruction under Grandmaster Haeng Ung Lee, I spent about 15 years with the highest ranking, oldest Jidokwan Grandmasters alive today. They have a book printed with all the pictures of past and present Korean born Jidokwan Masters so other Jidokwan masters know who's who. They accepted me as a "Jidokwan" Master without actually drawing blood for the induction :wink: . They are a very tight-knit group, and their uniqueness lies much more beneath the surface, and behind the scenes that no outsider is ever permitted to see. I was a rare exception as an American Master in this regard, but even I was not shown everything.

My past 6 years with Chung Do Kwan has further emphasized to me that the main differences lie in attitude, priority, and a "brotherhood" of kinship. There is not that much difference in techniques, even of the past it is subtle. It is more like the differences betweent the U.S. Army Airborne Rangers, the Marines, Special Forces, or Navy Seals. Each group likes to believe that they are the best at what they do. Basically, they use similar weapons and tactics, and accomplish the same goals, and while some differences are clear between land, water, or air assault, the biggest difference comes in the "esprit de corps" or spirit of the corps. They have pride in their connection to each other as a brotherhood of loyalty and service.

The Kwan is your family, from your great-great grandfather down to your great-great grandchildren. If no more blood relation is left, then the family name dies out - but each of the Taekwondo Kwans have plenty of decendants to rightfully claim the family name.

This is my viewpoint. I hope I have not offended anyone :)
CM D. J. Eisenhart