'Evolutionary Alternatives' of the IKCA curriculum

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am not an IKCA student but occasionally I stop by their site and look around. I noticed some of their techniques have been changed slightly to make them work better. An example is at 1:29:31.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I watched a few of them. They still have the fundamental flaws of
1) Practicing against a completely incompetent attack and
2) Assuming that they get to execute 3-5 moves while the attacker only gets one.

OP
T

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Good point. Not being a practitioner, I don't know if at some time they address the point you are making,

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I watched a few of them. They still have the fundamental flaws of
1) Practicing against a completely incompetent attack and
2) Assuming that they get to execute 3-5 moves while the attacker only gets one.

And therefore no nuance.

They are checkers when they should be playing chess.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What you are trying to develop is to do your technique with some sort of relevance to another person. Otherwise you will quite simply be crap.

So just because the video is applicable. (I was trying to find timing concepts for skrib's rhythm thread. But this is better.)

Here is a simple technique a white belt guard pass. But not a simple concept to actually do.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Many videos have this issue. In the normal situation, when you make one move, your opponent will respond with one move.

IMO, this issue can be solved if you always attack first. You attack, your opponent responds, you then respond to his respond. If you attack fast, your opponent has to respond fast, you then have to respond fast too.

Latest Discussions