Every customer is a potential suspect...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Recently I was in conversation with another person and heard a quote that was attributed to Mr. Parker. The quote was (I'm paraphrasing) "Treat every customer as a potential suspect."

The purpose of the quote was then explained as a warning to new school owners...that not everyone that walks through their front door is necessarily going to hae good intentions.

While the advice seems reasonable enough, I have not heard a quote of this sort attributed to Mr. Parker anyplace else.

OUt of sheer curiosity, does anyone know if Mr. Parker said that (or something similar)?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
paraphrasing) "Treat every customer as a potential suspect

True..There was this wanna-be cop from up near here that was attempting to join any police training organization or MA discipline that offered training to cops..He was a convicted felon and those that put the word out on him said he was up to no good..Mr Parker is correct...

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm no official or authoratative voice on what Mr. Parker did or didn't say, but I know that many of the things that Iv'e heard much much More authoritative voices say "Mr. Parker said......." were Not Ed Parker originals.
For instance, similar to the saying that you bring up, I've heard it told that Mr. Parker said:
"Keep your friends close and enemies closer!"
Which is not only wise, but is (from my understanding) originally from "The Godfather" movies.

Something to think about: Maybe Mr. Parker was simply re-using an appropriate quote from some other source.

Your Brother
John
BTW: Treating those who come in off the street w/a measure of suspicion is WISE!

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Makes sense to me. Thanks very much gents! :asian:

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Brother John said:
"Keep your friends close and enemies closer!"
Which is not only wise, but is (from my understanding) originally from "The Godfather" movies.

I think one of the sources for this particular sentiment, if not the actual quote was Nicolo Macchiavelli, in his written advice to 'The Prince'.

A very spooky book, when read and absorbed.

Latest Discussions