Ever wonder of the videos..."how to stop an attacter with no martial skills?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, There is so many "videos-$99.00 and more saying this is all you need to learn, simple moves, no hard training.

Have you order these and found it to very effective and no need for additional training?

Please let us know which ones were worth the money? .......Aloha

PS: The book on running quickly....has good info's.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello, There is so many "videos-$99.00 and more saying this is all you need to learn, simple moves, no hard training.

Have you order these and found it to very effective and no need for additional training?

I'll be interested to read the responses too

still learning said:

I own that book...It was my Bible for the longest time...LOL...

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score

Oh all the time, I just keep going to the Dojo because my instructor needs my money for groceries. I really like the "Self Defense with Barney" tapes. Man for a big guy, that purple dino can move. And when I start to sing "I love you, you love me, we're a happy family..." the bad guys just run the other way. :rofl:

On a serious note though, I pray that nobody really thinks they can buy a video to learn how to stay safe. That takes training and practice, there is no shortcut to the end goal. Some may give some insight that you have missed during classes, but none that I have ever seen could be used in place of formal training.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh all the time, I just keep going to the Dojo because my instructor needs my money for groceries. I really like the "Self Defense with Barney" tapes. Man for a big guy, that purple dino can move. And when I start to sing "I love you, you love me, we're a happy family..." the bad guys just run the other way

Just hearing that song make ME wanna run away..LOL

bydand said:
On a serious note though, I pray that nobody really thinks they can buy a video to learn how to stay safe. That takes training and practice, there is no shortcut to the end goal

Have you ever seen som of the CRAP they sell on E-Bay??? The packages I've seen includes a black belt and a certificate suitable for framing...

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
On a serious note though, I pray that nobody really thinks they can buy a video to learn how to stay safe. That takes training and practice, there is no shortcut to the end goal.

Well, that burts my balloon!
icon9.gif

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Its all about marketing IMO. Videos have their place as a reference tool, but I just don't believe that they could ever stand up to live training. I've seen some of these tapes, in which they're sharing the 'secrets that nobody knows' and what I found, is that its really nothing new. Then of course, alot of it stems from people wanting to jump on the latest craze that hit the market. When grappling first came into the light, look how many tapes came out showing all those secrets, and how to defeat a grappler with this secret move, etc.

Mike

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Its all about marketing IMO. Videos have their place as a reference tool, but I just don't believe that they could ever stand up to live training. I've seen some of these tapes, in which they're sharing the 'secrets that nobody knows' and what I found, is that its really nothing new. Then of course, alot of it stems from people wanting to jump on the latest craze that hit the market. When grappling first came into the light, look how many tapes came out showing all those secrets, and how to defeat a grappler with this secret move, etc.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Yes it all is definately about marketing and videos/DVD's should really just be used for referance tools. There is just no way you can pick up all of the little details by video.

Latest Discussions