Evans, Griffin and Maynard give back during the holidays

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
12-25-2009 03:30 PM:
ept_sports_mma_experts-308138311-1261655982.jpg

Rashad Evans is on the ground early in Las Vegas in anticipation of his Jan. 2 fight against Thiago Silva. The UFC 108 main event is a huge fight for Evans, who got crushed by Lyoto Machida back in May. Two straight losses would completely ruin any shot at getting close to the UFC light heavyweight title in 2010. Now that doesn't mean Evans' life would be over, the dude has things in perspective especially considering where he's come from to become one of the best 205-pound fighters in the world. This week he gave back a little bit using his experiences to try and an inspire less fortunate kids in Nevada:

"I really never tell anybody my story, it's kind of something I use for personal motivation," Evans told the Las Vegas Sun. "But a lot of those kids may be going through something like I went through and it's good for them to know they're not alone. Just because you don't always come from the best circumstances doesn't mean you can't persevere and come out on top."

Evans spoke to a group at Boys Town Nevada Center in North Las Vegas.

"I used to be so poor, I would go to school just to eat lunch," Evans, one of nine kids to a single parent. "Other kids made fun of my clothes. I wasn't clean all the time. It was hard for me growing up &mdash; I had a lot of anger inside."

Evans channeled that anger through high school wrestling. He eventually made it to a junior college and then Michigan State, where he wrestled and earned a degree in psychology.

A past Evans' foe, Forrest Griffin, also gave back by working with Three Square, "a community collaborative partnership with the gaming industry, businesses, non-profit agencies, food distributors, UNLV, the CCSD, governmental entities, the media and hundreds of volunteers to efficiently and effectively serve hope to the hungry."

ept_sports_mma_experts-307268125-1261658988.jpg
Gray Maynard did his part as well:

The UFC gave Amir Sadollah, Arriany Celeste, Jennifer Wenk (She works for the UFC) and myself the privilege of delivering $5,000 worth of toys to the 98.5 KLUC Chet Buchanan toy drive charity for kids.

I had to get up pretty early in the morning, but hey, I&rsquo;ll allow it this time because it was for charity and it&rsquo;s Christmas time!! I couldn&rsquo;t believe how many toys, gifts, and money were donated. The radio station camped out (I mean, they literally camped on a scaffolding outside) for like 10 days at the power company on Sahara and Jones to collect all the donations!!

It&rsquo;s really going to make a lot of kids happy. They will probably be getting their gifts about same time I&rsquo;m doing my first of two workouts on Christmas day.​

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions