Espada y Daga

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I was working Espada y Daga techniques today. Specifically Crossada and Palis Palis movements. Now I use differant terms but those will work for the discussion. What I like to do is just take the movements and play with them in the air and visualize what I am doing and the related follow ups. (Finishing techniques, takedowns and control)

When practicing your espada y daga movements what do you like best?
For myself I like to evade the incoming attack, seek a semblance of control/pressure with a knife and then move in for a finishing technique and then takedown, etc. I particularly enjoy doing this on a cool fall/spring night under the stars outside.

There are no right or wrong answers just what do you like to do?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend to try to tie the person's sword up with my sword, then sneak in with the knife for the finishing touch. But, I don't know very much espada y daga! I'm from a principally stick-oriented art, I'm afraid. Our focus was usually pali-palis for espada y daga.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
...I particularly enjoy doing this on a cool fall/spring night under the stars outside...quote]

We had a stone patio built this spring so I've been enjoying this as well. I generally practice the San Miguel Form with a cigar and a single malt near by. I have an article in an upcoming FMADigest issue that describes the form and an important segment called "Downward." Downward is shown here:

Best,

Steve Lamade

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Steve,

That is a nice video and I am glad that someone else enjoy's practicing outside under the stars!
icon10.gif

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I generally practice the San Miguel Form with a cigar and a single malt near by.

Hmmm, the cigar could be used as a dulo-dulo, and if you break the malt bottle you get a makshift blade...good thinking!

I practice in my den, and try not to hit my HD TV.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another espada y daga movement that I like to use is a large wrist strike (abinico largo) to parry/strike the opponents wrist/elbow/weapon as they are thrusting then checking the outside of their elbow with the knife (daga) and finally to the finishing thrust with the Long Knife. (espada)
This is all done to going to the outside but can also be done going to tthe inside as well. Lots of variables can be played with from there.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to counter the typical forehand with an outside snake tie up while filleting the forearm with the daga. Then as the opponent may thrust with his left hand daga, I drop the right hand weapon accross the opponents wrist and follow with a left handed clockwise circlular pass that also fillets the other forearm and tie him into a spear lock with the daga at his throat once I have locked my knife hand onto the tip off my stick and pull him into the daga tip. Oh, did I mention that I do a lot more Baston Y Daga rather than Espada Y Daga, oops! I broke my arm patting myself on the back, LOL. I do like training in the cool night air, tonight my training partner and I will probably work a lot of Bama Lethwei, Muay Thai and Jun Fan stuff, we don't train weapons work often enough. Great thread, Bro Brian Man, and please forgive me addressing you so informal. Good Training. PEACE

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Jimi,

I like your post. I like working baston y daga as well. I just always view whatever I am doing as a blade and make slight adjustments that are needed when using a stick. Sounds like you are going to have a great time training tonight. Call me bro, brian or anything you like we are all brothers at arms!
icon14.gif

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like working the footwork involved with our espada y daga. It's a good tool for developing those basics...if the footwork isn't right, either the technique won't work, or you get tagged by the other fella.

Cthulhu

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like working the footwork involved with our espada y daga. It's a good tool for developing those basics...if the footwork isn't right, either the technique won't work, or you get tagged by the other fella.

Cthulhu

Footwork and controlling the distance are very, very important with espada y daga as well as all martial science in general!
icon14.gif
If you can control the distance with your footwork then almost anything is possible for you.
icon6.gif

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of espada y daga that will be the focus of tonights private lessons that I will be teaching. We will work on controling the distance with our footwork and angling off to the outside while striking and controling the attackers outside arm with the knife. Should be a fun classs!
icon6.gif

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When practicing your espada y daga movements what do you like best?

I like training from long distance to closer proximities. Snap cut witha daga guard from long as well as double zero and passing deflections. As one gets closer in either crossadsa ro palia-palis. One can do block-check (daga check)-counter from a middle range as well. I especially like the differences in footwork needed because of your partner having a dagger rather than an open hand. It changes the ball game a bit.

Yours,
Author of an Espada y Daga book and forthcoming full DVD on the subject,
(Gads, that was a cheap plug!!!) :D
Dan Adnerson

Latest Discussions