Dog Brothers Video Clips

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came across these clips. I have to give these guys alot of credit for doing what they do!

Last edited by a moderator:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man they are hard core wonder how long before we see that on TV like the UFC stuff

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While I have not participated in the Dog brother's gatherings I have done quite a bit of hardcore stick sparring like that and it is always a good time.

robertlk808

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Great clips below are some clips from the Hawaiian Clan, Mike "Dogzilla" Tibbits moved out here about 4 years ago but I just started training with Mike in July. My prior training comes from Datu Kelly Worden.

Makena vs Nick

Tom vs Makena

Tom vs Dogzilla

Mike vs Me

Clay vs Mark

Kawika vs Dogzilla

The group is small, and not everyone wants to do live stick so we are easing our way into it. If you guys ever make it out to Oahu come on out we would love to have you.

Last edited by a moderator:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man they are hard core wonder how long before we see that on TV like the UFC stuff

They have actually been asked my a group called Extreme Fighting, but after hearing what would be needed and what would happen it was decided that it would not be good for either group. Guru Denny told them how bloody it was going to get and the promoters backed out.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
What immediately comes to mind is,WWWOOOOWWW! Those are some sick cats.... I especially liked the comrades in arms attitude. It was shown in every match that I saw on the clip. It was pretty kewl!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
What immediately comes to mind is,WWWOOOOWWW! Those are some sick cats.... I especially liked the comrades in arms attitude. It was shown in every match that I saw on the clip. It was pretty kewl!

You should go to a Gathering and watch.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, are the Dog Brothers's methods the only way to learn FMA?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, are the Dog Brothers's methods the only way to learn FMA?

Absolutely not! They happen to be a very exciting and pretty extreme group. It is not for everyone. I, myself, prefer the methods of Sayoc Kali. I have a limited experience with FMA styles, btu I have yet to see one that is not outstanding.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Absolutely not! They happen to be a very exciting and pretty extreme group. It is not for everyone. I, myself, prefer the methods of Sayoc Kali. I have a limited experience with FMA styles, btu I have yet to see one that is not outstanding.

How do you KNOW they are outstanding. How do you KNOW that it works?

I look at the Dog Bros. vids and I wonder...I've never done anything like that...how do I know if my stuff is effective? Sure, I've sparred a few rounds and I have gotten good at that, but the stuff these guys are doing is different.

It is MMA with sticks.

How do you KNOW your stuff works?

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I have always respected them. However, what I've always disagreed with is their pushing of "this is reality" idea. I've watched many clips and see people with broken this and that, blood, and bruising. O.k., that is reality, but, then they would show how that person got the injuries. Then, you would see the injured person land a solid stike to the opponent's head, or wrist. Of course there was protection, so the fight continued, where, that person received a shot that broke their ribs etc. Realistically, if that's what their preaching, their ribs, or whatever would not have been broke because the shot to the opponent's skull, or wrist would've ended the encounter. So, to me, this stuff is like fight club, just fight and take the beating for "macho" sake.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have always respected them. However, what I've always disagreed with is their pushing of "this is reality" idea. I've watched many clips and see people with broken this and that, blood, and bruising. O.k., that is reality, but, then they would show how that person got the injuries. Then, you would see the injured person land a solid stike to the opponent's head, or wrist. Of course there was protection, so the fight continued, where, that person received a shot that broke their ribs etc. Realistically, if that's what their preaching, their ribs, or whatever would not have been broke because the shot to the opponent's skull, or wrist would've ended the encounter. So, to me, this stuff is like fight club, just fight and take the beating for "macho" sake.

This is my impression and I probably would not do it because I don't want to risk the injury.

However, I might try it once...

I'm wondering, though, if at least I can get a close substitute. If we spar with padded sticks and gear are we even coming close? We at least do this in my school...

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We spar at my school. We use a padded stick, although getting hit with it still leaves a nasty sting and I've had some pretty good welts and bruises. We wear a helmet and the gloves are more of the foam dipped sparring gloves. Personally, I like doing this as it gives more of a realistic feel while we attempt our blocks, counter strikes, etc. Its easy to do a disarm when the person is cooperating, but when they're really swinging..well, the difference is apparent.

We don't go to the ground, although there have been a few times a few of us have taken it that far. This is agreed upon before hand.

Do I like to train hard, picking up the pace a bit? Sure. It serves as a little wake up call. However, I have a job that I need to go to, and I don't need to end up with a split head, broken bones, etc. I get some friendly joking from my wife when I come home with a minor injury now, I can just imagine what it'd be like if I came home looking like those guys do after a match!

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

They've been crticised because they are using rattan sticks rather than heavy woods (for obvious reasons) and not acknowledging what those heavy woods would do. Some of those strikes, if done with a crowbar instead, would knock a person out...but a crowbar is also slower to maneuver. Their rules seem to encourage the "cover then grapple" strategy.

What they do is good and important, but it isn't everything. Many FMAers are always thinking "it's a sword!" and for them this isn't very good training.

I spar with padded sticks and with rattan. How far we go depends on who my partner is. We don't usually go like the Dog Brothers. But, we can usually practice again the next day!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do you KNOW they are outstanding. How do you KNOW that it works?

I look at the Dog Bros. vids and I wonder...I've never done anything like that...how do I know if my stuff is effective? Sure, I've sparred a few rounds and I have gotten good at that, but the stuff these guys are doing is different.

It is MMA with sticks.

How do you KNOW your stuff works?

I think I know what you are thinking. The MMA with sticks is a very good analogy. All I could say is to go try it out. The next Gathering is in November.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sparring like this is good once in awhile. However the point about using rattan over hardwood sticks is right on. Hit someone with a kamagong stick or other hardwood and the encounter has a much higher degree of being over. To much full contact sparring with rattan and gear leaves a person with the impression that they may be able to take a hardwood stick strike and continue on. Even worse they may develop a habit of taking a strike which could be a long knife in the real world. Having said that it is a good way to spar to develop attributes (distance and timing) and also allow yourself to push through physical pain. If you have not done it you might enjoy giving it a try. Just do not equate it in your mind that it is a real world encounter. For it is just another training simulation.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I agree that this has very important qualities to it, that are necessary to real world encounters. I just think the training can be done differently. When I hear the emphasizing of a "knee cap getting split" as a way of legitimizing what is done, then, see that before that shot happened to him, he landed four or five full shots to the opponent's head. You also see, everyone showing off their injuries, (which we did as teenagers) and admiring who got what. I understand that, believe me. The battlescarred always got the attention and respect, but, again, this was among the "kids". It's just macho for macho sake, honestly speaking.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I kind of agree that helmet -- and especially the hand guards -- eliminate the "reality" aspect.

Not my kinda fun. ;)

Foam sticks might be more my flavor.

Neat to watch, though :)

Latest Discussions