Escaping the knockout game unscathed

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
It happened only a few days ago. I still find myself reeling. However, it was not my first brush with random crime. It comes with big city life. But I digress...

I was tired and wanted just go home in peace after work. I boarded the subway and at the next stop 4-5 teens got on the train and stood opposite of me. I am wary of teens from the city and I stayed alert. Immediately, I noticed one had a pink Iphone and was filming me. His buddy approached and whispered: "we knock white bitches out." My adrenaline started to pump, and I look him squarely in the eye. He added: "we gonna knock you out, *****." Mind you the car was full but has no security cameras (only stations). He stood perpendicular to me, his closet hand in his pocket. To buy time, I told him the comments were not appreciated, which he mocked and turned to say something to his buddies. That was my opening to stand and slide behind him. He turned to swing and missed. Frazzled, he spun and was there ready for him. Now, I could have leveled him completely, but the dynamics would mean paying a lawyer to justify it. So, I inched back slowly to the panic button, keeping myself ready. I hit it and reported the emergency. The thuglet and crew backed down as the entire train was watching. They exited the subway. I gave a full report to the police.

The first commandment of self defense is self awareness. Stay safe.

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
First let me say that I'm glad you made it out of this situation unharmed.

But, I will also say there was equal parts luck and awareness. Most of the time teens running around trying to knock people out don't announce their intentions beforehand; they simply sucker punch you. So, given that the assailant said something to you first was a good bit of luck on your part.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, it blows me away that guys would do this on a packed train. I guess they bank on no one wanting to help even if collectively there are 50 "good" people to 5 "bad" people. Interesting story...always be alert.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very glad you are OK, and could get out of the situation without your life getting more complicated.

Well done on the awareness and keeping a cool head.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Very glad you made it out safe. I dont think telling you was a good idea but the fact that you watched them from the jump and saw them filming you tell me that you was ready. But a pink phone? Really?