"Enthusiastically" recruiting new students

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Okay, I am now to the point of "enthusiastically" recruiting new students to my school. I have contacted one man and told him that I would bankroll him for six months (prepay his tuition) -- an offer that he cannot refuse. He actually gave me a laptop once, that was hosed, but I fixed it for the price of a replacement keyboard, so I kind of owe him anyway.

And, my good Brother, I have contacted him. He actually practiced at our School as a youth. So, he told me, "Well, if he joins, then I must."

These two guys are the greatest guys in the world, but it takes freaking dynamite to get them off of the couch!!! And, many people wish to exercise in this way, in an interesting way. The Martial Arts is a form of exercise that is for the thinking man or woman (boy or girl).

I am very excited to recruit new students, we need them badly! And, I usually do not try to manipulate people into doing things. I figure that I will "live and let live" and not try to tell others what to do or not to do, but I am stepping over that boundary now, so please wish me luck.

I sincerely do suspect that if they join us at our school, they will be very grateful after they have some practices and learn some things! It is such a good time!

Regards,

Robert

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Great job in recruiting. Getting older students (above 21 years or more..) is very hard.

First they must "want it" because it is so easy to stay home and do nothing...

Next,.. martial arts is "hard work" ...dedication to keep going...for those who were ask to sign-up ...is very different from those who are "seeking" the martial arts....

Good luck and hope they discover the "greater benifits" of training, the new friendships, and the new life style...

Let them know? ....it is the looking back...as the months,..years, go by....is when they will see the "growth within them selves" !!!

Martial arts...is not a job...but a new way of life and living....if they stay on!

When you hang around the right people? ....you life will be more on the RIGHT PATH!

Aloha, (Hawaii is on the LEFT of you....but that is all "RIGHT")

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just a couple thoughts off the cuff. Not sure if this is what your talking about.

A local Dojang has after school programs. They also have BB start classes at their churchs offering a discounted rate to the members until they reach a certain rank then they must go to the main Dojang. by then they are commited. Another has classes at most of the local YMCAs with the same set up.

Father-son discounted rates
Mother-daughter too.

Do something for the community and pitch the even to the local media they might put you on the air during a news segment. They are usually booked up a month or so in advance. Free advertising.

Good luck business is a tough thing.

setboy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good luck. I have been trying to get more students into the dojo i teach at too. It's be slow going so far.

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Its interesting that both of my "prospects" kind of said that they wish to first get into shape and then join the school.

Haha -- I told them that that is like first quitting drinking and then joining AA. No. You must come to practice, and the health will then take care of itself.

I have one lined up to come Wed, and the other to come after the first of the year (he is too busy).

Good ideas, RED.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are doing what satisfied people the world over do. You have found something great and wish to share it with friends and family.

The only things you said that cause concern: You mention stepping over a boundary. Do you have any concerns that the school owner might not approve of what you are doing?

I'd be wary of bankrolling anyone - that could become an extended - and expected - obligation.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right now I have twenty students, which is small, but 6 months ago I had about 5. Out of 20, only two of them aren't related to someone in the room. If a family is paying for 3 students per month, I let anyone else in the household in free, which usually adds the mom or dad.
In the room, I have a mom and her 3 kids, a mom/daughter, another mom/daughter, a dad/daughter, brothers, a married couple, and 2 cousins (I think that is right). Anyway, my whole class is family groups.
Also, I just finished up 3 free self defense seminars and have 2 more coming up in the next few weeks. Also, I have decided to get in one or two of the local parades next holiday (we have 4 local parades).
I know it is me trying to get more students, but I am really enjoying doing the demos and seminars to show my students off. I am beginning to see that demos and parades and stuff like that work more as a retention tool for current students rather than getting new students.

AoG

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The only things you said that cause concern: You mention stepping over a boundary. Do you have any concerns that the school owner might not approve of what you are doing?

No, that is not the case. I just usually don't like to try to tell people what to do, or to nag them. SabumNeem is okay with it. We need more students badly.

I'd be wary of bankrolling anyone - that could become an extended - and expected - obligation.

Yes, but in this case, it is different. One is my Brother, and the other guy is like a brother to me, we go way back. These guys are not casual friends. I would hope that I would take a bullet for either one of them, LOL!

Latest Discussions