guy in the ribs, head, whatever, just cause! They want to kick
some head too, and there's no better time when they're NOT
involved in the scuffle! They get off on it! I can't paint a picture
in my head where it's not better to take them down before it
ever makes it to the ground.

OP
I

Icepick

It's better to take someone down if they are better at stand-up than you... In addition, YOU don't always get to pick how the fight happens. If you don't think that a collegiate-level wrestler can take you down before you knock him out, either you are VERY good, or not training realistically.

Multiple opponents are a good reason not to fight at all... If you can't beat me, you can't beat me and my friends. Kenpo is a great art, but you are making a mistake if you ignore the ground totally.

OP
G

GouRonin

As I was at Vlad's last week, (www.russianmartialart.com) at the end of class he was laying on the floor and he was jumped by two students. Of course in the fun 2 students became about 6 and it was neat to see him be so relaxed about it. He was tying the students up with their own arms and each other so that at one point some were actually trying to crawl away and couldn't.

I have never seen someone use multiple opponent tactics in groundwork/grappling.

warder

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Actually most bar fights dont last on the ground. they are broken up way too fast. Grappeling is the last defense in a fight, and if you need to use it, means the situation is pretty extreme. It is a 2 am dark alley waepon. Nothing ever goes as planned in a fight, and no two are ever alike. Ive gotton pummeled before because i just slipped and fell while in a stand up fight. then it went to the ground. I didnt plan on it, and didnt want it. Now im preparing in case it happens again. you can never have enough in your "tool box". by learning grappeling, or BJJ, you dont have to destroy your opponent. if you become efficient, you can immobilize the person, and put them in terrible pain while not actually doing permanent damage. It gives you more options in a fight. you can decide what type of animal you want to become.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think someone should take up grappling because 'all fights go to the ground' (utter BS). Particularly in your average fight scenario, the risk of your opponent's buddies doing the Mexican hat dance on your skull is far too great.

I think people should learn grappling to escape quickly if someone else takes them to the ground. For me, grappling shouldn't be learned so that you can take others to the ground; it should be learned in case someone takes you down. Self-defense to me is defending yourself to the point where you can make a getaway. Trying to put someone in a submission hold is counter-productive to running away.

That's right, dammit. Run awaaaaaaay!!! :lol:

Cthulhu

OP
I

Icepick

What kind of derelicts are you guys, getting into bar fights! I bounced for over 3 years, and it sounds like you guys have had more fights than me... :lol:

OP
K

Kirk

Come down to San Antonio. There's a whole side of town filled
with shady bars you can work at.

OP
G

GouRonin

I find if I crap my pants or pee myself then people usually just want to leave me alone no matter how hard I try to get into a fight.
:eek:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin
I find if I crap my pants or pee myself then people usually just want to leave me alone no matter how hard I try to get into a fight.
:eek:

You do this alot , or? :D
And the name of the style is crap-do with an amount of pee-do......

/Yari

OP
G

GouRonin

I had a friend try to justify drinking so much he peed himself at the bar.

I said to him, I don't care if it was just once. It was one time too many.

Latest Discussions