endurance training thoughts?

REH2

White Belt
Reaction score
I found this article very informative, thought I would share. Its new to me, may be old news to some of you.
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/392/

I have seen a few more articles similar to this and am still trying to find them. Some of them are saying that cardio may not be too good for martial artists. Now, I know a lot of folks would not be heart broken at all by this, I personally don't know either way and thought I would see what kind of insight I got here on the subject.

Thanks

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That article really has me rethinking my exercise routine. Now I wonder why I paid so much for my treadmill...Anyway, since quickness has always been something I have needed to work on, this (HIIT) may be the key I've been looking for. Thanks!

OP
R

REH2

White Belt
Reaction score
Glad you found it useful.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do HIT in both endurance and resistance training spheres, have for years, and yes, you get way more bang for the calorie-expenditure buck from intervals for cardio (just as you get much greater motor-unit recruitment and growth-trigger efficiency—again, more bang for the buck—from short-range very heavy weight lifting in a power rack than you do from multiple high-volume lifting sessions with a lower weights/full range routine). There's no comparison. The one disadvantage: both are very unpleasant and require you to psyche yourself up, accept working in the pain red-zone for much longer than you would prefer to, and face the fact that it gets harder, not easier as you progress. But the payoff is, you progress fast. And the article you cited adds support to something I've always felt: the rapidly shifting alternation between very intense output and periods of relative inactivity in a typical MA session make demands on your cardio capacity that ho-hum jogging/cycling/whatevering can't possibly begin to answer satisfactorily.

Thanks for this new, latest bit of evidence!

Latest Discussions