the new

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What are some of the mistakes the seniors of ken/mpo see the juniors and relative new comers, make that could prevent them from elevating their skill, and teaching to an above good or even above very good status?

Seeking to grow and seeking honesty

respectfully,
Marlon

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are some of the mistakes the seniors of ken/mpo see the juniors and relative new comers, make that could prevent them from elevating their skill, and teaching to an above good or even above very good status?

Seeking to grow and seeking honesty

respectfully,
Marlon
1 high kicking 2. poor stance work 3. leaning into strikes ie 4. Other posture issues...
Sean

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would love to hear from some of the seniors on this as well. What I see (I am not a kempo senior) is lack of good body mechanics. People have a hard time seeing the benefit to doing their basics repeatedly to get correct posture.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doing things your own way! I've seen so many people deviate from what the coach is showing to punch, kick or stand how they feel comfortable. Turn up the pressure and people's form goes to crap, they just go through the motions to finish the exersize. Fact is doing it sloppy once does more damage to your form than doing it right 100 could ever fix.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Doing things your own way! I've seen so many people deviate from what the coach is showing to punch, kick or stand how they feel comfortable. Turn up the pressure and people's form goes to crap, they just go through the motions to finish the exersize. Fact is doing it sloppy once does more damage to your form than doing it right 100 could ever fix.

Well yes but it's more like 3:1

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sloppy, lazy basic techniques, as well as arrogance.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I first read this my thoughts were about new students and my answers were swirling around in response to it...but after re-reading and seeing the part about teaching I would have to expect that these individuals are at least BB rank/equivalent...with that in mind...
Don't forget where you came from....
1. Don't have the D.I mentality...we as adults can learn without being treated like a Marine recruit...
2. Remember the new students are there to learn, not be impressed with your training....
3. Humility...I expect to learn something from my students each time I'm with them...

To deal with the ability to elevate your own learning...Continue to train with a knowledgeable Instructor (you should be able to figure that out by now)...also continue to workout without with your peers......

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Basics. It's all about the basics. The more complicated stuff is fun, but it is all about the basics.