Empty Hands vs. Dagger Part 2 of 2

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
oh that's awesome. Thanks for posting that!

Selfcritical

Orange Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
oh that's awesome. Thanks for posting that!

So he only demonstrates one two possible control positions, with only one set of angling from the defender........the material he shows is flatly insufficient for the conclusion that he's drawing (never go for two on one control).

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Selfcritical said:
So he only demonstrates one two possible control positions, with only one set of angling from the defender........the material he shows is flatly insufficient for the conclusion that he's drawing (never go for two on one control).

agree-- further more the defender is deemed competent to actually stop the blade but is then given no further allowance for a continuing defense. it is also assumed that attacker is more than competent in the use of blade-- begging the question why would this person not simply use the element of surprise against his victim and end the matter without all the need for martial art display?

Selfcritical

Orange Belt
Reaction score
jazkiljok said:
agree-- further more the defender is deemed competent to actually stop the blade but is then given no further allowance for a continuing defense. it is also assumed that attacker is more than competent in the use of blade-- begging the question why would this person not simply use the element of surprise against his victim and end the matter without all the need for martial art display?

In fact, most of what i can see demonstrated in the video is that if you're going for a two handed clich on the knife wielder, you need to move in to control from the side.......which, since you're already doing FMA, you should be doing anyway.....

Drunken Cro

White Belt
Reaction score
This conversation is kind of similar to one I was just having with another MT member. Speaking of the 2 on 1 grips has anyone, here in the FMA community, seen either the Red Zone or S.T.A.B. programs made by 2 different SBGi instructors? If so, what are your opinions from a FMA point of view? Effective or not? Good as introductory material but not advanced? Personally, it makes sense to me and I like it but I don't do FMA so maybe there is a "better" way. What are you opinions?

Black Grass

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
When dealing with a knife there are no obsolutes. Grabbing the knife hand with 2 hands is completely valid when done correctly.

If anything this video only shows how NOT to grab with both hands.

Vince

Latest Discussions