embroider a belt

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
embroider i am about to get a double embroider side black belt for a friend of mine but i am not sure do how can i get it so that when he ties it that both sides are showing if i lay the belt down and have all on the same side will it be the same when i get it embroider

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay, let me use my embroidered belt as example. If I am looking down at my tied belt, at the school where I study, my name shows on my left and the name of my school on my right.

So I begin with the wrong side of the school name facing outward on the left, wrap the belt around, tie the knot and when I'm done, the right side of the embroidery of the school name will show on my right.

When I fold my belt, the wrong sides of the embroidery come together for me so only one shows. If any one else has another way, please post and thanks.

Hope this helps, Adam.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think he is asking if the embroidery should be on one side (flat side) of the belt, or if it should be on one side, one end and the other side, opposite end. He wanted to be sure that the embroidery on both ends of the belt would face the same way. He just needed to know how the embroidery should be done to get that effect.

From what Shesulsa says in tying her belt on, the embroidery is on the same side of the belt. TallAdam, I think it would be safe to have your embroidery done with both belt ends on one flat side only.

- Ceicei

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your friend has just achieved a black belt test, the instructor should be the one giving it to him or the meaning of the achievement is lost. A new black belt student would get one anyway. Did not the instructor have it embroidered? Usually an instructor will put their school and the new black belt's name on it and that is a cost which is supposed to be part of the testing fee. TW

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
It should be easy enough to test so you are sure, I'd stick a piece
of tape on the ends and see what happens when it's tied. Or even
easier, tie it first and put the tape where you want the embroidery to
be, take off the belt and you'll know exactly where to put it.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TallAdam85, PM Mr. Billings who is a moderator of the Kenpo section I think he knows how to do this, and so would Mr. Conatser I bet. I also have a Goju friend who likes to have his belts embroidered by a company which splits the belt open, embroiders both sides, and puts it back together so that both sides of the belt are in the same color and one is not the reverse or back of the other.

DSP921 has a good idea to help you figure this out.

Feel free to email or PM me as well. Good luck.

By the way, none of the schools I attend frequently embroider their belts so it should not necessarily reflect poorly on the instructor if he or she doesn't award and embroidered belt. I was told that when I get my Black Belt it will be up to me to put the 1st Stripe on even though it is required, but this is also not a standard practice. I think it depends on the Art/Style and lineage.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are many MA Supply companies which do embroidery-Century, Golden Tiger, Best/Sang Moo Sa, just to name a few.

TallAdam, since you are in Metro-Detroit, you could go to Ann Arbor to see Ms. Kim at Kim's MA Supply on E. Liberty Street-she may be able to do the embroidery while you wait.

Miles

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Miles said:
There are many MA Supply companies which do embroidery-Century, Golden Tiger, Best/Sang Moo Sa, just to name a few.

TallAdam, since you are in Metro-Detroit, you could go to Ann Arbor to see Ms. Kim at Kim's MA Supply on E. Liberty Street-she may be able to do the embroidery while you wait.

Miles
My sister gave me an embroidered belt from GOlden Tiger a few years ago. The quality was terrible. I wore it so as not to hurt her feelings, but thankfully no longer have to.

Latest Discussions